Snakeskin 308

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John M

John M

Well, hearing all the horror stories of people turning the snakeskin, I pretty much got it round, and then sanded it the rest of the way, I could not afford to mess it up. My step dad saw a pen sort of like this ( skin and a bullet anyways ) but could not spend the 100 bucks for it. So my mom asked me to make one. I think it turned out ok, I wish I could have found a better clip and top but that was all I could fine, the Euro, which was suggested by people on this board, so thank you. I am pretty happy with it, I will make another one with the other half of the blank. I hope he likes it.

Attachments

• CIMG0360.jpg
    CIMG0360.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 224
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

The pen looks very good. I am with you though and never buy the gold euros . Yours is the first bullet/snake pen I've seen.

Jgrden

Are you polishing the brass bullet with anything? I have tried, and not very successfully, to use 0000 steel wool, 20000 grit paper, brown bag, Brasso and then shoot it with Shellac.

John M

The euro was the only 7mm that had a bigger clip and top, i could not turn the blank down that far because of the overlap on the skin. The gold and the brass "sort of" match, I will try to polish the brass a little, or maybe steel wool the gold. I have some metal polish that I was gonna try on the bullet, I was gonna chuck in in the drill and see if I could just get a little more shine so it matched the clip. If it is to polished, it will really show prints, so I want to avoid that.

John M

I dont think it is to hard to turn, in fact it turned just fine. But I have heard of them chunking out because you dont really have a good bond on the tube, it is on the skin. I had some good sandpaper and wet sanded it down and was not all that bad, came out nice and smooth since I did not have to sand out the tool marks from my nice unsteady hand.

I will make another one and see how it turns out, I need to find a better clip and top though, those Euro ones are just really cheap looking, at least the clip is.

Top Bottom