A snake-A Vine-A Burl or A Don-A George-A Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from southernclay

southernclay

Three rollers for today:

A diamondback Jr Gent II, blank by Don Ward

A George aka Robutacion Red Shiraz Vine Jr Gent II

A 2 tone rosewood burl (Honduran?) I got in a swap with a fellow member on a zen.

I'm really pleased with these three, all nice to look at.

The vine is very open grained and finished with Pens Plus, left a lot of texture which given the material is cool & different to me. Thoughts?

C&C is welcome, still learning lots so will take the good with the bad!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• DSCF6220.jpg
    DSCF6220.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCF6209.jpg
    DSCF6209.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF6230.jpg
    DSCF6230.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCF6237.jpg
    DSCF6237.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCF6244.jpg
    DSCF6244.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCF6251.jpg
    DSCF6251.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCF6268.jpg
    DSCF6268.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF6276.jpg
    DSCF6276.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Three Glorious Pens, Warren.
But the Honduran Rosewood Burl, is in a class of it's own. Superb.
I feel sorry for the other two pens.
Had you posted these as singles, they would have received the Comments and Criticism in their own right, but in the presence of the Rosewood Burl, they are just Over Shadowed.
Like them, I have been overpowered.
Great work.
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The Rosewood looks almost like a two tone amboyna - beautiful.

Open grain on the vine... I do not mind open grains one bit! - It's wood! I do prefer a smooth surface, but open grains do not concern me for quality. JMO.

Very nice set!!!

southernclay

Great work.
Brian.

Thanks Brian! Hope you are well!

Open grain on the vine... I do not mind open grains one bit! - It's wood! I do prefer a smooth surface, but open grains do not concern me for quality. JMO.

Thanks Mark, I feel the same, this one is a little more open grain than I've done but is cool. It's going to a friend of mine in TX that has helped me out in my business. He mentioned throwing an Australian wine party recently so know he'd get a kick out of it.

Actually the skin is a prairie rattlesnake skin, not a diamond back skin.
The HR burl is very very nice...one of my favorite woods. Nice pens.
Do a good turn daily
Don

Don

Thanks Don! Thanks for the correction too, I thought it diamondback on it but had thrown away the package :redface: The blank is beautiful.

Thanks for all the likes and comments folks. The rosewood is a great piece of timber. It's been on the shelf for a few months. Finally got around to ordering some Zen's recently and finally connected the dot of what it needed to be turned into.

robutacion

G'day Warren,

I think that, all 3 pens have their own characteristics and uniqueness...!

I agree with most, the HRB pen has a amazing blank and you dome a great job with its finish. The snake shin pen, they look always good and interesting, as for the Vine Shiraz Red pen, the decision to leave it with a natural finish/look, is a good one, Vine material looks great with the same type finish as you put on the HRB but, not many woods/materials will product a natural finish/look/feeling, as the Vine, particularly after being stabilized, as this blank was (actually, I only have Vine that has been stabilized clear or with dyes...!).

Was not that long ago that I mention the advantage of using stabilized wood to create natural look wood pens, the stabilization is all its needed as a finish and durability so, as I said, your choice was a good one, congrats...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom