Snake on Snake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Prairie rattler with sterling clip. All comments and suggestions for improvement appreciated.

20087132636_Snake%20on%20snake%20WB.jpg

2008713276_snake%20on%20snake%20clip.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Very nice work. The special clip adds some nice character to the pen.
Works very well together.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

ldb2000

Absolutly Stunning Bruce....you've done it again , you are the KING of kitless :D
If you dont mind me asking how did you mount your clip (Tab , Ring , other) ?

toolcrazy

Even though I am not a fan of snake skin pens. You have a beautiful pen with nice workmanship. And the clip adds a nice touch of class.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks to all for comments.

Butch and Steve - The clip is all mine, cut by hand from a sheet of silver, a few solder joints, a bunch of filing and and finally stamping to texture. It connects to the cap by a short length of 12 gauge silver wire soldered to the back. For some clips I am using 2 pins, this one has only one. I drill a hole on the cap and epoxy the clip in.

VisExp

Beautiful pen. The clip really looks like it is slithering across the upper barrel :) Is it a fountain pen? What material did you use for the accents?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Keith - This one is a fountain pen. Working on a design for a kitless roller ball, but not quite there yet. The accents are Ebonite, the most forgivable material I have found for cutting threads.

Scott - The clip is very functional. I have been using 14 gauge silver sheet for most of my clips and that seems to have enough strength to be durable with ordinary care. Lighter gauges will bend and heavier gauges appear too thick to me. You can bend them if you try hard but in casual use so far I have been lucky. I also tumble them in stainless shot for about 1-2 hours which provides some work hardening.

PR_Princess

Very nice Bruce!! Very cool clip!!!

Getting that 3D effect on the snake could not of been easy! [:0][^] Is the next one going to coil all the way around?? [}:)]:D

Nice casting on the skin too!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Princess - hope to someday make one that wraps around but that will probably be done in wax first and then cast. Here's one that Ariel Kullock of Argentina sells.

200871531535_Ariel%20Kullock%20CLip.jpg

Ben - per your request. Cap doesn't post like most of my pens. I really don't care for caps that post as I feel they compromise the design. Just my opinion. I know many like posting pens and maybe I'll lose sales, but in this case the penmaker gets to choose.

20087153169_Snake%20on%20snake%20open.jpg

thefunkyP

Thanks Bruce! That's a great looking pen. I thought the cap looked just large enough that maybe it would. I agree with you about the caps, but it is also convenient not to have to worry about the cap when your writing. This is one of the best use of scales on a pen I've seen. Nice work.

workinforwood

I think it's great, like everyone else. My question is about durability and stress. How do the details hold up over time, and how does the clip hold up from the stress of bending back over a pocket? I know it doesn't "bend bend" per say, but the slight bending is still stress over time.

PR_Princess

Originally posted by BRobbins629

Princess - hope to someday make one that wraps around but that will probably be done in wax first and then cast. Here's one that Ariel Kullock of Argentina sells.

Thanks Bruce!!! Maybe casting is the way to go for that type. I was hoping that you could find a way to bend, solder, or otherwise form the sheet to make it wrap. [?]:(

IIRC, Ariel Kullock -I think he also makes a dragon and a monkey. [?] Very, very, cool but certainly not for the faint of heart. FWIW they should be at the DC show in August. [8D]

bitshird

Bruce, you could use a round bezel mandrel to wrap the tail around, they are similar to a ring mandrel but smaller in size, casting a piece like that would be no major problem, it would only require a short mandrel turned from aluminum since injection wax wont stick to it, and a down and dirty two piece vulcanized or RTV mold,, That is a very cool snake pen.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Jeff - As for durability, I think it was Brian Gisi that said of his solid silver clips that they should be treated with care (not that I pretend to be in the same class). Most of the people who carry high end pens, do not even use the clip in their pocket. That's why they sell leather cases. All in all, they may not be quite as durable as some of the steel plated clips, but I think with the gauge I am using and going through a work hardening step I have a pretty durable clip. I wouldn't have an issue with giving a warranty. Only time will tell.

Ken - You're on the right track - that's exactly how I would approach it, just haven;t gotten that far yet. Thanks. Work keeps interferring with the hobby.

Top Bottom