In Memoriam
Thought I'd try something a little different for #100

2007225201829_SnakeOPearl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by chitswood
<br />Interesting, what is the snake made of?
Face - White Mother of Pearl
Eye - Paua Abalone
Tongue - Cast Red PR
Body - Alternating Black and White Mother of Pearl with black epoxy in joints
Background is cast PR with Green Mixol and silk luster pigment.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />Neat look. How long did it take you to peice together?
Thanks - stopped counting after about 20 hours - the little pieces about 10-15 minutes on average each, the tongue was about an hour project and the head took over an hour because I had to contour the underside of these to the shape of the tube and get the eye in. A long time, yes, but very relaxing for me and something to keep me busy inside when it was too cold to get in the shop.

alxe24

Congrats. You made a keeper for #100. Seems like you wnet a long ways for 100 pens. The background is very nice too. Beautiful pen.
Alex

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by johncrane
<br />Congrats Bruce!onya (100) looks very interesting' you done a top job with all the bit's and pieces great use off material's also,is it a protected species (p.s) not for sale.[;)][:D]

Thanks John and all the other for your comments. and yes. this one's a keeper.

wudnhed

Super awesome pen, Bruce! I love the color and it's just so unique. A pen like that can't be just slapped together. A person can tell alot of thought and creativity put this pen together. WOW!

NCWoodworker

excellent work!

where did you get the materials, if you don't mind sharing...especially the mother of pearl and Paua Abalone. Would you also mind sharing how you cut them? It looks like you had a good process at hand as the segments look relatively symmetric..and the head had to have been a challenge :)

cheers,
chris

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by NCWoodworker
<br />excellent work!

where did you get the materials, if you don't mind sharing...especially the mother of pearl and Paua Abalone. Would you also mind sharing how you cut them? It looks like you had a good process at hand as the segments look relatively symmetric..and the head had to have been a challenge :)

cheers,
chris
Thanks Chris and all the others with nice comments. The mother of pearl comes from www.luthiersupply.com Be careful if you go to the website as you may wind up looking through the offerings for several hours like I did. He sells sea shell blanks in a variety of colors as well as precut shapes which I have also inlaid. For the body of this pen, I cut the slabs of shell with a slow speed diamond saw into strips approximately 0.075 wide. The saw has a micrometer adjustment so it was easy to duplicate the widths. This gave me pieces about 1-2" long which I cut with a side cutter a little oversize. I then glued them on the surface of the brass tube with a drop of CA and trimmed the width with a small grinding wheel in a Dremel tool - time consuming but very relaxing for me. For the head, I had to use 2 thickness of pearl glued together and on the underside I filed/sanded a groove to the radius of the tube. On larger pieces of pearl, if you don't do this, the edges will dissapear when you turn. Shape of head is freehand with dremel grinder. I read about a trick for making the circle for the eye which is to drill a hole, grind the bottom of the drill bit flat, CA glue on a piece of pearl and sand to the diameter of the bit. When you dissolve the glue, you have a circle that fits perfectly in the driled hole.

Hiram33 - see above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom