Snake bitten!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from devowoodworking

Here's a set of flat top americans dressed in Snakewood:mad:
I made a similar set to this one and sent it out as a gift to a fellow puzzlemaker friend for Christmas and of course the set he got cracked on both pen and pencil:eek::mad: That's what you get for testing fate:frown:

Attachments

• snakes.jpg
    snakes.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 370
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
why do they crack so much?

Jason, all I know is that there are three groups of pencrafters;:biggrin:

The unfortunate, that have made a 'Snakewood' pen, and eventually had them crack!:mad:

The fortunate, that have made a 'Snakewood' pen, and still boast no cracking!:handshake:

The very fortunate, that have not made a 'Snakewood' pen, wisely staying out of the first two groups,:star:
I now wish I still belonged to this group!:curse:

rdunn12

The unfortunate, that have made a 'Snakewood' pen, and eventually had them crack!:mad:

I am part of this group!!I am also in the "did'nt even get through drilling it group".:mad:The last one I made went for about 3 weeks and one day I was at my desk on the computer and heard it crack.Picked it up and sure enough a 1 1/2 inch crack.:frown:No more Snakewood for me.:mad:

arjudy

I got a couple of snakewood blanks about 4 years ago and still have not turned them. I don't know if I ever will because of all the problems associated with that species. Sorry to hear that yours cracked.

its_virgil

I suppose Anthony and I should boilerplate my next comment about snakewood pens since we both have posted it several times. :biggrin: Make snakewood pens. :RockOn:Instead of worrying about if or when they will crack just turn the blanks and let them set until they crack. It may take several days or weeks. Then put them back on the lathe and repair the crack with a slurry of CA and sanding dust. The crack will be almost undetectable and in some cases not detectable. We both agree that a cracked and repaired snakewood pen is nicer than most any other wooden pen. Stop worrying...life is too short. Make those snakewood pens and enjoy them. BTW, I've not had to repair or replace any snakewood pen I've made this way. Congrats to those who have made them and not had one crack.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jimm1

Sharp Drill, slow drilling is the way to go. You still most likely will get cracks. I just hate hearing that sound.
Whether your first turn is successful or not, save your shavings and the snakewood dust from sanding. Depending on the size of the cracks, use either the shavings or the sanding dust to fill the cracks. Then use thin CA glue over the cracks. Continue sanding. You'll get a beautiful pen.

Top Bottom