Smoketree burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ken69912001

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken69912001

There has been some talk about smoketree lately. So here is a chrome cigar using Smoketree Burl which as I understand is very rare. The accents are Beeswing Narra(amboyna)and credit card. Finish is CA.

200746235936_Pen%20swap143.jpg

2007470017_Pen%20swap144.jpg

2007470229_Pen%20swap141.jpg

2007470253_Pen%20swap142.jpg

Two different sets of pictures but i think that i prefer the second set because they show the grain better.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Love the pen. I have one in smoketree burl with the same grain patter. I like your first set of pictures better. To me, the grain shows more.

Fred

What an absolute novel use of credit card material. I had thought about using the color samples from Home Depot, but since I already had a gazillion old credit cards maybe I'll use them instead. BTW, they also make excellent "spacers" for use around the router when making minute changes in height adjustments. Playing cards also make excellent thinkness gagues.

UKpenmaker

Stunning pen Ken, the colours are so strong, do you have the Latin name a the Smoke Tree?. We have an ornamental tree over here with that common name, i will have to keep my chainsaw handy if its the same.[:0]
Definatley the first 2 pictures for me also.

workinforwood

Originally posted by ken69912001
<br />Well Andrew another name for this wood is chittam wood. The latin name is cotinus obovatus, member of the family of Anacardiaceae or the cashew/sumac.

I guess that explains why that normal piece I saw looked so much like the heaps of staghorn sumac I have. That's an awesome pen that sure needs a better kit!
I just had a sumac a few months ago with a big narly root ball attached to it. I junked the rootball. I didn't have a lathe at the time and it was not really a burl...but I bet it would have looked similar to this. It also was hollowed out up the center from ants, but there still would have been lots to salvage. DOH !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom