Smoke Tree burl on Shakespeare Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

This was a scrappy, twisted two-tone end cap that looked like it would sooner break than turn.

With a lot more patience than I would like to admit, I was able to drill and turn to get some of the sapwood top and bottom and the Smoke tree has some great burl and quilting. I filled the checks with Blue Lapis. Really pleased with this one.

I had to keep dowsing it in CA as I turned to keep it from breaking apart.

Finish is CA.

Attachments

• IMG_9528.jpg
    IMG_9528.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_9535.jpg
    IMG_9535.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9533.jpg
    IMG_9533.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_9519.jpg
    IMG_9519.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

You fought the log and the log lost! Beautiful!

I charge $50 extra for wood like that, because it is so difficult and so pretty. I used to only bump $35, but no one ever complained. So I added $15 and still get no complaints. Add the story of the process and extra care you had to take, it makes the pen all the more valuable.

yorkie

You fought the log and the log lost! Beautiful!

I charge $50 extra for wood like that, because it is so difficult and so pretty. I used to only bump $35, but no one ever complained. So I added $15 and still get no complaints. Add the story of the process and extra care you had to take, it makes the pen all the more valuable.

I completely agree! I'm not someone who sells my pens cheap. This one is up for $237 and I just sold the Norfolk pine Shakespeare pen for $277.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Sprung

Yup, definitely worth the extra work! And almost always is! Very well done. And in one of my favorite woods too.

SteveAxelrod

Beautiful grain and including the contrasting sapwood was well worth the effort. The blue lapis was an interesting choice and the more I look at the photos the more I like it. Nicely done!

OZturner

Another Great Conquest Stephen.
Great Choice to Include the Sapwood, and to Capture as much of the Burl as Possible.
Superb Selection of the Blue Lapis Filling, Gives it an Extra lift, Not that the Burl Needs it.
Again Beautifully Matched with the Shakespeare Hardware.
Be Interesting to see how it goes Compared to the Norfolk Island Pine.
Magnificent Work,
Brian

Top Bottom