Smoke these....and help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

Freshly rolled last night. A couple of new cigars.
16-17twins.jpg

Pen 16 is a chrome cigar kit using my first stabilized/colorized curly poplar from BB. I was a little sceptical at first but as I began to polish it boy did it POP![:0]:D I used three layers of CA-BLO ( I am getting to like this finish) followed by three layers of friction polish. The nurses drooled over this one.

Pen 17 is a basic black walnut with a gold cigar kit. Fairly basic except the burn lines.

I do have a question. On the poplar pen the finish looked great. I pressed it all together and went to bed. This morning when I got to work I noticed a line about 2mm wide around about 1/3 of the diameter that appear to be a defect in the CA layers.:([V] I don't understand. I didn't drop it or do anything. Where would something like this come from. I am trying to take the pen apart now without destroying it so I can resand and refinish.

How do you get the insert out of the bottom of the top tube? I got the top insert off easily but the bottom one has me stumped.[?][?]

Another question? The highest grit I have is 800. How much better is the finish using MM of higher grit automotive paper? Which of the two is better?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

opfoto

Thats a really nice pair of Cigars..Sorry about the defect you found. I really can't help you with either problem. I just ordered my first Cigar Kits and I am looking forward to trying my hand at this type of kit.

daledut

I will take a whack at some of this. But first let me say these pens look great.

Not sure about the defect in the CA finish, but it is possible you had something on it that caused the CA not to adhere properly. I have also had the grain re-rise after sanding and finishing. I think it is because it heats up a little as you sand it expanding the grain. Then after it cools some grain retracts and some stays high. This is especially true with burls and curly grains.

For disassembly I highly recomend the transfer punch set from harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3577

To get the bottom fitting out. Leave the tip on and select the punch that just fits trough the top fitting of the lower barrel. Tap the lower fitting out and then select the punch that just fits into the brass tube and tap out the upper fitting of the lower barrel.
If I mis-understood and the top fitting of the lower barrel is already off. Then select the punch that will just fit into the tube and tap out the lowwer fitting while hold the barrel with a piece of non slip rubber. I use some non-skid shelf liner.

Micro mesh will amaze you with how much smoother you will get the finish. The stabilized stuff you get from BB will shine almost to the point your want to skip the finish al together. It will make any finish you choose look way better.

I would be careful with automotive sand paper. On lighter colored wood I have had the gray of the paper come off onto the wood.

woodpens

Nice looking cigars! It is a shame you had the finish problem with the green curly poplar. I have not used BLO when finishing these, but use ca without it. I would increase the number of coats you put on to try to prevent any more cracking. Be careful with any heat build up too. I can only suspect that the cracking was due to a difference in temperature and the associated stresses.

Micromesh is absolutely 100% worth the price. The first time you use it, you will ask yourself why you waited so long to try it. Don't press them against the wood enough to get them hot, and they will last a long time.

opus

Nice JoB !!
That poplar looks fantastic.
I've been using MM for awhile, you should get some and try it, I was amazed at what it can do, especially with stabilized woods, you could almost get by without any finish sometimes.

woodscavenger

It's a good thing I am actually selling some of these. When I started this my wife made me lay out how much it would cost. Now every time I turn around I seem to hear....show me da money. MM here I come!

PenWorks

Great roll job Shane, very nice pens, the curly popular really has some nice movement.

One of the best smokes I had, a gal from Honduras, rolled me cigar right before my eyes in less than 3 minutes at a cigar show. [:D]

Anthony

C. Scott

Shane,

I gotta ditto what has been said about MM. I use automotive sp to 2000 and then 6000, 8000 & 12000 MM. I started using the MM about two weeks ago. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG! It really does make a difference. Your pens look great BTW, just think how much slicker they'll be when you use MM.

G

Great job on the pens.
I know what you mean about defect in the pen's finish"appearing".
Without seeing the "defect" hard to tell how it occured,but you did mention you used a CA BLO sinish.
I have experienced what I call "Ghosts" a cloudy are under the CA finish.
Usually in the form of a finger print.
Somewere I read that someone figured out how to get rid of them without refinishing them.
As I unberstand it this is moisture I know mictowaving the pen doesn't drive the moisture out but the pen will get hot.
For the MM Google up International Violin Company.
A number of us are getting the MM there,The sheets are 6x12 for about $35.00.(9 sheets)
It's about half the cost and is the same stuff.Cut your own.
I reccomend numbering the back of the sheets1-9.
The grit numbers will drive you buggy.( well they confuse me)
It's easier to lay them upside down so #1 is the first one and then just go in sequence.
Good Luck!

woodscavenger

I couldn't get the bottom section out of the top tube. I put a few spacers on the mandrel. Put one bushing on followed by the top end of the top tube. The bottom end(which still has the pressed in black trim ring) was hanging over the end of the mandrel far enough to snug my 60degree tailstock center up against it. Turned it on and the thing spins great. I was able to sand it down and I will add a new finish to it tonight. I'll let you all know how it turned out.

wpenm

A couple very good looking pens. I agree that MM is the best way to go. Here is a web site that has MM at a good price.
https://www.micro-surface.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom