Smitty Le Roi 3/8" Beta Test

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from southernclay

southernclay

So I took Smitty up on his awesome offer http://www.penturners.org/forum/f218/le-roi-beta-test-118448/

Overall I really like the new set up, I like the Le Roi anyway, like the finial twist feature, solid well made component set IMO. With the extra material it only improves, weight difference didn't seem any different to me. No negatives that I see other than it is a slight deviation from the usual "sierra" style setup. Most of us have a 3/8" drill bit and we all have tons of bushings so what's one more set right? I don't know if the tube on casting would create an issue, I assume the molds would still work just fine. I would think the extra clearance for casting would be a big positive for watch parts etc.

On to the pens.

First up, Brooks blank, Jonathan makes awesome blanks, this one's cool to me.

Second, a BOW and buckeye Burl with CA finish. Love both of these. The BOW almost has a spider grain. I missed filling a small spot at the large knot though, but I kind of like it like it is. The buckeye needed a god bit of filling so thick CA and 150 grit did the trick.

Last, group of 4 oak pens made from a brandy barrel. This is for 4 men involved in a men's recovery center in north Georgia. They have a thrift store and make furniture and décor out of barrels so thought I would make a few pens for the leaders and the young man that heads up the furniture shop there. These are finished with doctors woodshop pens plus, I really like it for open grain woods.

Leroy, I'm sending one back to you, let me know which one you would like of the Brooks, BOW or buckeye burl. Thanks for offering the test up to us!

Warren

Attachments

• beta 1.JPG
    beta 1.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 257
  • beta 2.JPG
    beta 2.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 246
  • beta 3.JPG
    beta 3.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 191
  • beta 4.JPG
    beta 4.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

What a terrific lineup! I think the Brooks blank pen takes the blue ribbon, but the competition was stiff. I haven't turned a Le Roi yet, but I think I'll start with the v2. Gonna get my hands on some Caballeros, too!

Great job on those pens! LeRoy is always a pleasure to work with, and that makes turning that much more rewarding.

tgsean

Wow those are beautiful pens. I really like the first pen, and of course my all time favourite BOW! Going to Israel tomorrow! I am hoping to go to the workshop in Bethlehem!

OZturner

Terrific Pens, Warren
Great choice of Blanks truly showing the versatility and potential scope of Smitty's new Le Roi.
Of course your Superb Fit and Finish, in no small way contributed to this success.
Well done,
Brian.

Top Bottom