Slotted Trimrings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A few weeks ago a few "Old Sh..s" got together at MrDucks2 to make a mess. (Even though Ernie doesn't qualify as Old we let him come because we needed entertainment :biggrin:).

This was my main accomplishment.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 374
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
The finish is curing on mine!! That one is PURDY!!! And i'm OLD, just not as OLD as you OLD FARTS!!!!

magpens

Lovely pen, Mark !!

I assume you made a whole (or half) blank-length of the "pattern" and then slice off what you need. Would love to see a cross section of that rod, please, if you can.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Lovely pen, Mark !!

I assume you made a whole (or half) blank-length of the "pattern" and then slice off what you need. Would love to see a cross section of that rod, please, if you can.

Hi Mal: I'll assist in any manner I can.

This may not be the exact picture of the rod, but if you substitute the darker brown, which I suspect is the infamous... broom stick rod; closet rod, misc Home depot rod... It will be a very plain, cheap 6' section that I bought to practice my skew skills (that didn't go well!).

But the elements are the same: I used a metal lathe chassis, side mounted hand-router; slitting blades; 360 degree indexing plate; west system marine epoxy; accurately milled inlays.

This would have been any easy inlay. Only 12 thick slices, vs 36 thinner slices for a 3-ply 12 inlay. (Same number of inlays, just a single inlay vs a 3-ply).

Please ask any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_3489.jpg
    IMG_3489.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

Chief TomaToe

But the elements are the same: I used a metal lathe chassis, side mounted hand-router; slitting blades; 360 degree indexing plate; west system marine epoxy; accurately milled inlays.

This would have been any easy inlay. Only 12 thick slices, vs 36 thinner slices for a 3-ply 12 inlay. (Same number of inlays, just a single inlay vs a 3-ply).

Mark, I am a huge fan of the work you do, especially the trim rings. Is there a way to do that without a metal late? I can see by inspecting your setup how it's done, but I wasn't sure if there were any other methods. Maybe I should just add a metal lathe to the wish list!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Mark, I am a huge fan of the work you do, especially the trim rings. Is there a way to do that without a metal late? I can see by inspecting your setup how it's done, but I wasn't sure if there were any other methods. Maybe I should just add a metal lathe to the wish list!

Hi Ronnie: Yes, there are other methods. Some folks (that have far more precise skills/equipment than I) cut angled staves to construct these. Others have simply used a hand router mounted on their wood lathe and used the lathe supplied indexing feature (if present), or had added precision indexing plates. Others have simply used the table saws.

All of the above methods, including my set-up will have various equipment needs and learning curves.

Then there is the method of how to do the inlay.

I'll freely explain how I do my blanks/segmented designs as I have NO ISSUE if anyone wants to "give it a go." But, I'll let others explain their methods if they wish - some folks feel a bit "protective" of techniques at times; which I understand and respect - I just don't feel that way about my work.

A PM will follow.

Woodchipper

Need to try segmenting. Just counted and I have 19 Slimline kits! Need to make different patterns, designs, etc., in addition to the usual plain vanilla. Will look at JT's tutorial. Thanks two bunches.

magpens

Mark,

Thanks for your reply and the detailed pictures. . General idea I get.

A thing I don't get is ... when you do the longitudinal slitting, the adjacent slits seem to meet near the axis of the main dowel which is being slit. . And if the slits meet, the wedge-cross-section piece in between the slits would fall out ! .... or does the wedge-cross-section piece still hang in there in an extremely fragile and precarious way ?

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark,

Thanks for your reply and the detailed pictures. . General idea I get.

A thing I don't get is ... when you do the longitudinal slitting, the adjacent slits seem to meet near the axis of the main dowel which is being slit. . And if the slits meet, the wedge-cross-section piece in between the slits would fall out ! .... or does the wedge-cross-section piece still hang in there in an extremely fragile and precarious way ?

OK, Got your query Mal.

YES, I have had some slotted blanks that failed due to what you described.

For the 3-inlay blanks, I can cut a slot about .25" wide, to a depth to insure the final OD of the pen is intact for the design. That will leave enough material for the inside triangle (Picture to follow) for it to be good. However, I cannot cut a .25" slot on a 4-inlay blank. The inside depth is too great and the pieces fall apart (not a good description, but the result is bad).

So... going to a lesser width of the inlay, .240, .230, .220, etc.. We have more options to go for a 4, 5, 6 slotted inlay. When I go to the trim rings, I can cut my slots for a solid or 3-ply inlay very thin; probably .0625+. So things can get interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Top Bottom