Slipstream Wave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rich L

Rich L

Here's another exercise in pearl inlays using EDM for making the holes. There are six long skinny inlays around the barrel bounded by grooves made by mounting the barrel in a custom fixture on a rotary table and running a 1/2" ball end mill across the surface. The grooves are about .020 deep into the .040 wall. Hope you can visualize that. The holes for the inlays are through the wall.

The inlay shapes were made on a pantograph using the same 2:1 pattern as was for machining the electrode. If anyone would like more detail about the general process, that can be found in the "All Squared Up" thread I posted several months ago. I'd also be happy to post additional info on this one if anyone wants.

The inlays were placed, glued, and then the entire barrel was filled with epoxy to give it some backing. Of course most of it was drilled out so there's room for a filler! There are circular pearl inlays in the top of the finial and in the bottom of the barrel.

The cap is traditional guilloché using an unusually shifting pattern I've not seen anywhere before. It's meant to complement and continue the "wave" barrel inlay pattern.

I'm not likely to do this one again as it was very difficult. Making those long holes in the barrel added a temporary fragility to the barrel that was uncomfortable to work with, however, once I got the epoxy in there, that was solved. Also, finishing the pearl surfaces so they are flush with the barrel surface was challenging because of their length. You cannot easily feel any transition from pearl surface to barrel surface. The dark line you see in the pictures is some artifact of lighting, the translucency of the pearl and the color of the side wall of the pocket. The EDM process leaves a dark surface that I can wipe out to some degree but I do not even try to remove any more than that because it would be too delicate and I'd risk messing up the precise fit. Polishing out the ball end mill tool marks was an effort as well while trying to maintain the sharp edge between the top of the groove and the main barrel surface. I had to use a polishing stick slightly less than 1/2" diameter to stay in the groove and not touch the edges. PITA.

Keeping grooves and inlays evenly spaced was another - but it came out OK.

The pattern in the clip is done with the same pattern bars as used for the cap engraving.

I'm going to continue this basic design shape until I run out of the silver tube I have for it and that's about 20 more pens, or so. I'm thinking about a larger silver pen design in the meantime.

Cheers,
Rich

Attachments

• _MG_1087 cropped 10 by.jpg
    _MG_1087 cropped 10 by.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 325
  • _MG_1092 cropped 10 by.jpg
    _MG_1092 cropped 10 by.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 291
  • _MG_1092 close up 10 by.jpg
    _MG_1092 close up 10 by.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Rich, another amazing work of art! The curved MOP waves are beautiful.

Thank you for keeping us "Mortals" inspired.

Ed McDonnell

Hi Rich - As I understand it you are using EDM because you are concerned your barrels are too fragile for methods that involve mechanical removal of metal (e.g. milling). Did i understand that right?

Ed

PS I think your other thread was "trying to be square".

Rich L

Hi Rich - As I understand it you are using EDM because you are concerned your barrels are too fragile for methods that involve mechanical removal of metal (e.g. milling). Did i understand that right?

Ed

PS I think your other thread was "trying to be square".

Milling works but the real reason for EDM, and one of its features, is it can make pockets with sharp internal corners which is usually pretty tough to do with a round end mill. For this pen, while the internal corners could have been done with a mill, it would have required a CNC milling setup that I don't have. The shape is too complex to even attempt it with a manual mill. It could have been done on the pantograph but the surface finish using a tiny end mill would not be good enough for a precise end mill. The pantograph is manually "driven" so irregularities can occur just because I'm pushing the stylus by hand.

EDM is incredibly precise and can produce corners with less than 1 micron radius. I don't go that far because decorative "jewelry" doesn't require it. Plus to achieve that kind of precision requires 3-5 (or more) times more time and the production of a series of electrodes to make it happen.

There are four threads:
"Trying to be square"
"All Squared up"
"A clip is born"
"Now the cap"

Cheers,
Rich

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Rich, there isn't anything that you've made that I don't love, but I think this has got to be my new favourite. Just beautiful!!!
I could quite happily just sit quietly in a corner of your shop and watch you make something like that, from start to finish...and I doubt I'm the only one.:rolleyes:

magpens

What an absolutely beautiful piece of work !! Wish I could do that. Even though I can't, your work is an inspiration.

jttheclockman

Very impressive. Nicely done. Looks very professional. Thanks for showing. I think I will try that on my wood lathe with my skew. Yea right:)

Rich L

Thank you all for the compliments. It means a lot having put so much effort and time into it.

... Just beautiful!!!
I could quite happily just sit quietly in a corner of your shop and watch you make something like that, from start to finish...and I doubt I'm the only one.:rolleyes:

I'm just gonna pull a chair up next to Skip if that's alright...

Mike

Come with beer and I'll provide the corner. Actually I have more than one corner. :biggrin:

Actually, anyone is welcome - just give a shout. I love to share these techniques and processes.

Cheers,
Rich

Marko50

H-o-l-y--C-o-w!

I'm pulling up a third chair and hanging with Skiprat and Bluwolf. This is the kind of stuff that inspires me to do a much, much better job with my builds. Incredible stuff Rich! There is always so much more to learn. Wow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom