Slimlines - with style!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OutofTurnSam

OutofTurnSam

After mastering the basic slimline, I decided to wing it and create a few designs of my own using the slimline kits. Here are a few -

5562374274_fe55e2230d_m.jpg
5562373824_c94671d29f_m.jpg

5562372164_4e65b275f1_m.jpg
5562371866_de55bbcc2f_m.jpg

--- Still attempting to get the images to show up. I'm not familiar with the code these forums use. >.>

---Yay, I got it! :D

You can go here to view the other pens I've made so far. The images that are titled "ZZ" and then a description were my first pictures, and not very good quality. =)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Not bad Sam, next you should take the centerband out of the picture and see how much more flexibility you have in the design of the pen.

its_virgil

CaptG is correct. The slimline is quite a kit! What possibilities it has. Seamus has a good point also. I rarely use the centerband unless someone just wants a standard slimline.

Good work on your pens. You seem to be off to a good start. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I have some articles on my website you may be interested in reading. You can find them at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles and you may also want to look at the powerpoint presentation I use when I present demonstrations on slimline modifications. You will find the power point presentations at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/PPT

The SouthWest Association of Turners (SWAT) holds an annual symposium here in Texas. The SWAT symposium will be held in Waco in August. Two of the rotations will be penturning demonstrations. Maybe you can make plans to attend. The trade show is worth the trip to Waco if you can only make it for Saturday. Check it out at http://www.swaturners.org

Do a good turn daily!
Don

OutofTurnSam

I guess I should point out that those pictured above all happened to be pencils. I didn't realize that at the time lol

Thanks for the comments! And I will be sure to check out the SWAT meeting in August - sounds like fun!

OutofTurnSam

In the future, I'll be sure to attempt turning the slimlines without the center band - but in the case of these particular pens, the wood was already pre-cut and drilled to fit the kits. So the most I could to spice it up was mixing and matching the hardware.

The fact that I even like anything I made with a slimline kit is surprising to me. I remember always finding user submissions and thinking how "pinched" they looked and unappealing the straight, standard ones were. Good to know that there are ways to use the slimlines without the traditional look. =)

bitshird

Nice way to get started Sam, The lowly slimline really is any thing but. There are more design possibilities than any one person could imagine,(or would want to) but your off to a great start, and I'll be looking to see what else you come up with.

boxerman

Very nice bunch pens. I have turned quite few slim lines and never used the center band. I think they look alot better with out the center band. Here one I did with out center band.
013.jpg

OutofTurnSam

Can you tell they have all been finished with Shellawax? Do you think this finish looks bad*?

*bad as pictured here, not in general. Obviously almost everyone here prefers CA, so I'm not going to be surprised if you guys think CA or Poly would make it look better. =)

ToddMR

I think they look nice personally. You did a nice job on all of them. I do use CA mostly but have had a couple people requests just a standard finish on the wood. My boss likes his mahogany cigar pen without CA finish. I don't typically stock non-ca finished pens though.

patmurris

Good start!

Yes, forget the standard slimline center band, it is just a pain. Either do without a center band, or with one you turn, that frees you from the tiny center outside diameter and opens up endless possibilities - well, almost.

Also consider that the transmission coupling with the upper part is rather flexible as it will still work even with a 5/8" gap for a very large center band for instance. Then you'll want to try a close endded pen, and custom finials and nibs...

Keep up the good work!

OutofTurnSam

What kind of wood is that??.

The lighter colored ones are Rosewood. The red ones are Paduak. Both types were from the PSI EZ blanks - precut and predrilled for slimlines or other 7mm pens with similiar dimensions.

Now that I'm about out of these precut blanks, I'm never going to order them again. A lot of the blanks were just millimeters too short and this left gaps in some of my pens, even after I attempted to file down the brass tubes every so slightly. In addition, some of the blanks were just plain and boring - with hardly any featuring to speak of. No matter, I'm not ordering from PSI again anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom