Slimline from Twig Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

I was asked to make and donate a pen for an upcoming church auction. I agreed, but also suggested it might draw more interest if the wood came from a tree on the church property, and asked them to get me something at least an inch wide and six inches long. The first photo is all they could find laying around... not much to work with. I was able to get two pieces out of it, but after rounding them off, it was barely wide enough for a single slimline. So that's what I took a crack at. I dried and double dye stabilized it to add some interest. Turned out much better than I imagined...

Ya know... after doing pens for several months now, this is the first slimline I've ever done, and I kinda liked it. For whatever reason, I never liked the looks of the ones I had seen others turn - they're always too fat for my tastes (hour glasses), and I assumed this was somehow inherent in the kit design. I also seemed to recall them being described as more difficult and maybe not a good "first kit", even thought it's the kit that most people start on somehow. I look forward to doing more and the customizations possible look interesting.

Attachments

• StMaryPenStart.jpg
    StMaryPenStart.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 196
  • StMarysPen-8545.jpg
    StMarysPen-8545.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 311
  • StMarysPen-8546.jpg
    StMarysPen-8546.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 266
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Zulu

Nice effect.

To be fair to Slimline kits, the one in a picture does look like it has a Streamline center band. Streamline pen kits have a thicker center band.

budnder

Nice effect.

To be fair to Slimline kits, the one in a picture does look like it has a Streamline center band. Streamline pen kits have a thicker center band.

The kit was a #PKXMGM from PSI, which they call a Trimline Twist. Got a pack of a dozen of these when I first started.

RedBeard

The kit was a #PKXMGM from PSI, which they call a Trimline Twist. Got a pack of a dozen of these when I first started.

Same here. In fact I've went through 3 or 4 of those 12 pack deals since.

The center band is bigger than on the typical slime-line. I've only turned one SlimLine, a pencil, and I hated it. Way too narrow and like yourself I do not particularly care for the ones that bulge out.

Top Bottom