Slimline Spalted!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwall

Hi All,

Please see below my latest pen, which is made from spalted elm, using a matt black grecian slimline, and a BLO - CA finish.

Was very happy with the finish on this one, but the fit at the band could have been better.

Any comments welcome!

2006718194057_CIMG0892.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

Very Very nice!!! I can't comment on the fit on the band, cause I do that too sometimes. I try and use the fancy bands, it hides the goofs a little better [:D]

kkwall

Thanks All,

Need to work on that fit! If it's one thing i've learnt from this, if it looks close to a fit on the mandrel, it aint close enough, so shave of more![:D]

Love spalted would , but it's a bit of a lottery when it comes to turning. Even sanding the blank to make it round - sharpening my gouge before and during each turn - using CA on the ends of the blanks after they are squared off - and using a thin ca solution on the blank before turning doesnt prevent every blow out! [:(!]

But that part of the fun, trying to turn it!

jahlg

use a tip i was taught, when turning and you think it is down to the right size of the bushings, turn off your lathe, close your eyes and run your finger down the length, and you shouldnt be able to tell where your bushings are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom