Slimline Pen: Using a very small Pen Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toddlf

toddlf

I received a few very small blanks from a friend. I really wasn't sure it they were going to be big enough to make a pen. So, I thru one of them on the lathe and made a Slimline pen.

The photo show how small the blanks were compared to the finished pen.

YouTube Video at: https://youtu.be/a04A74ro6BA

Attachments

• IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_5892.jpg
    IMG_5892.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5893.jpg
    IMG_5893.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In the early 1990's, the only available pen kits were slimlines and all the blanks sold for penmaking were 5/8". I don't know of anyone who drilled on the lathe, but it taught me how to use a drillpress much more accurately than I ever had to, previously.

When the cigar pen came out, "standard" size pen blanks changed to 3/4".

RangeRat

I really like the colors of the pens and the blanks, especially the dark blue. I think the lighter colors have sort of an old timey appearance that works well. I turn my slim lines a bit on the thinner side, so I've been using 1/2" pvc molds for single and two color blanks. Way less material to just end up on the floor.

toddlf

I just went out to the shop and measured one of the blanks. It was just under 9/16", but a little bigger than 1/2" (17/32"). That is the smallest I have ever drilled out.

StanBrown

When I was turning pens way back when (~'05 - '06) the only kits available through Rockler were Slimlines. All the blanks were about 9/16". Barrel trimmers were hand-operated and the only finish available was Wundercote. My how things changed when I wasn't looking.

Woodchipper

My wife was watching me turn a Slim Line pen. She wondered why we turned off so much material to make a small pen. I think if I custom cut blanks, I will cut them smaller than
3/4 square. I do turj other styles that would use the 3/4 blank.

bsshog40

Looks like you worked them pretty good! Nice looking! It's amazing what you think won't work and does. I've had a couple times where my blanks were not squared and when I drilled from the center at top, the bottom came out about 1/8" from the side. It's funny though, still had plenty to sand after turning. Lol

Top Bottom