slimline leather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rudy497

rudy497

This is my 5th pen, and my version of a leather pen, it's a beefed up slimline. I used Desert Ironwood on the ends and I eliminated the center band. I sealed it with blo/ca and then polished it with plastic polish. I still had some mistakes but it was fun making this. All comments good and bad welcome.:)

GEDC0235.jpg

GEDC0236.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ROY67

What kind of glue is anybody using to set up the leather on the tube? my 1st one came out very well. i repeated the process again using contact cement. I stack the leather pieces like dimes, with rubber cement, clamp it. The next day i drill with a 7mm, insert the tube with thick ca, then let it cure over night, and the next day when i use the barrel trimmer it releases from the leather, i have tried ca med&thick, and sumo glu(loctite) cures like gorilla glue but white. I have also used rubber cement to glue the tube no luck. should i drill the leather pieces out 1st then glue to tube 1by1 any suggestions

rudy497

What kind of glue is anybody using to set up the leather on the tube? my 1st one came out very well. i repeated the process again using contact cement. I stack the leather pieces like dimes, with rubber cement, clamp it. The next day i drill with a 7mm, insert the tube with thick ca, then let it cure over night, and the next day when i use the barrel trimmer it releases from the leather, i have tried ca med&thick, and sumo glu(loctite) cures like gorilla glue but white. I have also used rubber cement to glue the tube no luck. should i drill the leather pieces out 1st then glue to tube 1by1 any suggestions

I punched out the leather and then glued the leather to the tubes using WELDBOND adhesive. I then soaked the leather with CA and hit it with a mixture of water and baking soda as an accelerator. The CA process was done about 3 times. :)

Mark

I like it.. That looks really interesting. It's not something you see all the time. Nicely Done.

David Keller

I like it... Pretty advanced for a 5th pen(segmented, alternate materials, modified kit, etc). My first dozen looked like dirty wooden turds...

Nickfff

Read how I make them here: http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles and look at article #11.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY67
What kind of glue is anybody using to set up the leather on the tube?

should i drill the leather pieces out 1st then glue to tube 1by1 any suggestions

Don-I checked out your site. Thank you very much for all the info you have on there/instructions/modifications. It is GREAT!

Nick

nava1uni

You can also use Barge glue. It is made specifically for gluing leather. I have used it to make shoes and they hold up under lots of pressure, water, etc. Then after it is glued together you could follow Don's instructions for making the pen.

snyiper

Where would one get Barge glue? I have attempted several leather barrels. I punch the outside and drill the hole and stack on the brass The problem comes when turning it always seems to break loose from the brass. I have used CA, Sumo, Gorilla as well as 5 min epoxy. It seems no matter the glue a few rings break loose!!!

its_virgil

I use two part epoxy....5 minute may be too quick for the leather pen. But, the key is coverage....between the disks and the tube and between the disks also. I've not problems. This is a good time to let your messy side run loose a little. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Where would one get Barge glue? I have attempted several leather barrels. I punch the outside and drill the hole and stack on the brass The problem comes when turning it always seems to break loose from the brass. I have used CA, Sumo, Gorilla as well as 5 min epoxy. It seems no matter the glue a few rings break loose!!!

Top Bottom