SLIMLINE The hardest pen I have turned..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulDoug

PaulDoug

Well, I've been wanting to try a cork pen. This is from wine corks. It was turn and soak with CA, turn and CA, turn and CA... many hours. Maybe it would be easier if it was "stabilized" in a vacuum pot. I don't know. Did the best I could.

OK, Skye, bring it on....:beat-up:

mini-Pen29-28-2008.jpg

mini-Pen299-2008.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

That thing sucks sucks sucks!

No, but really that's pretty cool. I like the way you cleaned the ends of the blanks with hardwood, good idea. How hard is it? If you bite on it (like everyone does by accident) are you going to leave tooth impressions in it?

I think they would sell well at wine shops.

broitblat

I think the pen looks great.

I had thought about this but I figured there would be too much tear out from turning. At the very least, I'm sure you need sharp tools.

Also, I don't think stabilizing would work because I wouldn't expect the cork to absorb any of the resin, etc.

-Barry

PaulDoug

The pen is hard because it is encased in CA. I don't think it would work leaving the cork soft and unfinished, dirty hands would discolor it pretty quick. On one end I lost a chunk because the blood wood chipped out. I was able to glue it and the attached cork back and it is Not noticable. Sharp skew on the cork and of coarse lots of thin CA.

Unless I could find a faster easier way of making them I don't think they would sell well if you wanted to get paid for your time.

roddesigner

Paul the pen looks excellent might have been a lot easier to simply sand it rather then turn,one problem with cork is it is not porous simply won't absorb anything the CA is simply sitting on top we have used rod finishes over cork and that holds up very well over time and use

Skye

Unless I could find a faster easier way of making them I don't think they would sell well if you wanted to get paid for your time.

Only way I could really think of would be to glue it all up, slap it on the lathe and use some HEAVY sandpaper to bring it down to size. Maybe even some kind of rasp file or something.

You could probably also use a very sharp blade, maybe one of these:

000567_0.jpg

with the blade removed (lathe off of course) and slice it longways to an appropriate size, something closer to the final size. To make this easier, you could turn the wood parts for the kit, square them up, drill the corks, glue them all together on the tubes. When you put it all on the mandrel, use the wood parts as a cutting guide. Then, you just need to sand it with heavy a** sandpaper to get it to size.

PaulDoug

I turned to almost size and than went to coarse sandpaper. Porbably using sandpaper sooner would eliminate the need for so much CA soaking.

les-smith

Nice looking pen, great idea. I think there would be a market for that type of pen seeing it's made out of wine corks.

How's the weight? I think it would be light.

td

Banned
You have a beautiful pen to show for your time spent working on it and also great experience to holster in your belt!

Top Bottom