Slimline in Curly Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkirkb94

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

It's been awhile since I have made a slimline so I did one in some curly maple. Took about 20-30 minutes to crank this one out. Hope to do some more pens this weekend. Finally got my Dad out of the hospital and the wife is doing better after her surgery. Now I need some time to myself:D Pens help keep you sane![:p] Kirk[8D]

2004121133041_curly%20maple%20slimline.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Very nice pen, Kirk, I like the accent grooves. Also, the way you keep the barrel thickness by tapering/rounding the ends. I do that very often. It works very well as long as it is not exagerated.

Very glad to hear that your dad is out of the hospital, and that your wife is doing better.

And, yes, turning is very therapeutic, very relaxing.

jkirkb94

Fred I agree about the tapers. This is about the max that I like to do. Having some carpal tunnel is my inspiration. Again this is one of the things I like about the slimline: it lends well to a variety of shapes. Plus this adds a cheap pen to sell when people turn their eye from my more expensive pens. And I can sell them at a higher profit margin do to the cheap price of the kits. Kirk[8D]

PenWorks

Sounds like you have your hands full Kirk, amazing you got any turning done. Hope everybody is well for the holidays. Very nice. Anthony

jkirkb94

I had about an hour between hospital and home and having to shuttle a daughter to her obligations. Luckily wife can take care of herself at this time. I'm juggling washing the clothes, running errands for everyone and trying to get the main computer back online![:D] Whew. Kirk[8D]

dougle40

Kirk,
I'm juggling washing the clothes, running errands for everyone and trying to get the main computer back online! Whew. Kirk

I guess when things like this happen it makes us sit back and think about what a "housewife" goes through just about every day , doesn't it ?

Kirk, sorry you have to get a taste of the household duties! I admire you for stepping in though. Glad to hear everyone is on the mend. Don't rush your wife, the body takes time to heal! Enjoy the holidays together, life is prescious!

Dominic Greco

Kirk,
Funny you should post this pic! I just posted a question on the main board about Berea's slim line pen bushings (if they can fit on PSI's mandrel). I'm about to turn 32 or so of these bad boys from,...guess what wood? Silver Maple!

I really like the shape you've turned. I'm going to print the picture out and post it above the lathe so that I can follow your lead.

And I hear you about turning pens keeping you sane. Sounds like you have a real handful right now. I hope you wife and Dad get better soon. Remember to take care of yourself at the same time your looking after others. Burning the candle at both ends this time of year is a recipe for the Flu.

Again, good job!

Mike_O

Nice looking pen. I really like the grip lines. Adds a nice detail and makes for a better grip. Did you use KC wires or just a tool to make those? I always have problems keeping the spacing even when I use wires.

jkirkb94

Thanks everyone for the concern. Bev, the wife is finding out on her own that the doctor was right about not pushing things. Wife has not had any real pain and feels fine but if she tries to do <u>anything</u> she finds out that she tires quickly. Lack of blood seems to have that effect[;)]. Dad is better and back at home at the retirement center though I do not think he will see another Christmas[:(] Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom