slimline Christmas gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cjthomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjthomas

This is a satin pearl slim line that I turned for some of my family. The wood is applejack dymondwood. I didn't really want to give it away after I made it.

5944_Satin%20pearl%20with%20applejack%20slimline01.jpg

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Kinda new round these parts aintcha pardner?
Any relation to B.J.Thomas?
I really liked that song Raindrops...the first time.
Nice pen .
You didn't ask for any comments so I'll hold back because you're new.

cjthomas

I am very new here. Only been around for a couple of days. As far as I know I am not related to B.J, but that was a good song. As far as comments, as long as you don't tell me I should quit while I'm ahead, I welcome whatever advice you can give. I'm still learning and would love more advice. That's the main reason I have joined. Heck, I've already learned alot in two days.

As far as finish goes. I sanded with micro mesh to about 8000. I used two coats of EEE ultrashine and finished it off with shellawax.

PenWorks

Very nice pen Chris, I never new what applejack looked like in a pen. Pretty sharp. Also has some nice curves to it. great for just starting.[:)]

Eagle, did I detect a soft spot [?] A crack in the armour [:D] Being gentle on the new guy [}:)] Anthony

Never take nothin personal around here Chris, we all have our quirks. [:)] and moments [8D]

G

When he gets a star I'll let him have it.
The only thing I was going to mention,and it's a little thing, hardly worth even bringing up, not that it really matters, and most wouldn't be interested any way,
It's the "beading" on the top and the "flow" on the bottom.
On a pen with "boring" wood like mahogany,or plain maple,something without a lot of grain,the "sculpting effect " enhances the p[en.
In this case I am not sure that the contrasting colors of the blank don't detract from the craftsmanship of the "beading"
Sometimes when I make a pen I need to make a conscious decision,am I showing off my skills or the wood.
A lot of times I need the skills to show off the wood,as in a blank with little figure.
In this case with the dyamond wood being so contrasting I think a little less "sculpting" or none at all would have made the overall effect more pleasing.
I like the "satin" kit with the red black,good choice and I am not crazy about silver color pens but it works on this one.
I just get the feeling the top is too busy.
That's just me.Hey I like my Chile on rice!

Fred in NC

Very nicely done, Chris! I don't blame you for wanting to keep it. As a matter of fact, I would recommend you make a couple pens for yourself, and hang on to them. A year from now you will wish you had your first pen, or at least an early one. Keep up the good work!

cjthomas

Thanks Fred. I do have several of the pens that I have made. My only problem is that my wife tends to steal them and keep them in her purse. I think she has more of them than I do right now. As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to order a few kits and blanks later this week. I have been inspired by some of the pictures that I have seen here. The "how to" explanations that people here give are great. There are some things that I have been wanting to try, but didn't quite know how. After reading some of the posts and articles, and seeing some examples, I think I am ready to tackle some of my ideas. Thanks to all who post and explain for the benefit of us who are newer to the art.

Brent

chris, I like the top of your pen, shows craftmanship and I don't think it takes away from the wood at all. I wonder what Eagles first couple of pens looked like. I am guessing straight barrels

G

Originally posted by Brent
<br />chris, I like the top of your pen, shows craftmanship and I don't think it takes away from the wood at all. I wonder what Eagles first couple of pens looked like. I am guessing straight barrels
Actually Brent they were not.
I did my experimentation on scrap wood rather than a pen.I do remember my third pen was a red heart and ebony segmented twisted spiral American Classic with a CA finish that was sold to a Jewelry store in October for $45,00.
That's where I sell most of my pens retail stores where the price gets doubled.
My comments about CJ's pen were not meant to be a slam but an offering of personal preference.
I still feel the same as I did when I made the comment.
Lou and I even discussed this particular pen over dinner last night as I called him while I drove through D.C. yesterday.
I try to let the wood do the talking when I make a pen,either by mix of colors,cut of wood,grain pattern etc.
When A medium winds up being boring I will do something like"sculpting" to accentuate it.
The colors in the pen CJ made far from boring even if it is an engineered blank.
On the lower part of the pen the shape accents the wood.
In the picture the shape of the upper barrel from where I sit, detracts from it.
There are a lot of options one can consider when turning a pen,just because something is possible to do doesn't meant it is necessary to do it.
The picture of the pen was posted and rather than rubber stamp,"Nice pen!" I chose to make a comment of what I thought may have been a better option.
It' ain't Gospel but personal choice.
I've only been turning (pens or otherwise) since fathers day this year. Just now getting the hang of posting pictures.
Believe me I have made my share of Ugly pens!(And CJ's is far from ugly)
I don't care for dymond wood, I lam up my own colored wood using natural colors,but that's my choice.
One of my ugliest pens was a top heavy colored corn cob(similar to one in your album,no balance)
But a jeweler bought it and ordered 3 more like it.
So as you can see there is no accounting for taste.

cjthomas

Eagle,

I greatly appreciate your comments. I appreciate comments from anyone who successfully can make and sell pens. I agree that personal preference plays the largest part in whether or not someone likes or dislikes a pen. In no way did I take your comments as a slam. I haven't done that much turing and I want to grow my skill. I am glad to see honest constructive criticism. All it can do is help someone improve as long as they are not offended, and I am not. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom