Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bbuis

bbuis

So I did this aqua slimline and what better color to put with it than copper. There are places it looks like the tube is showing through but overall I think a good pen. Live and learn right?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

Actually painting the inside of the blank before gluing in tube is suppose to work better. Ive done both and had em work.

bbuis

I actually bought this one already drilled and tubed. Bought 2 for my first acrylics. The other was a cigar and dark color nothing showed through. This one it just does in spots where the acrylic is lighter.

Reece

why is there a difference in painting the tube or the inside of the blank??
i was just wondering because i am fairly new at penturning.

thanks,
tom

when you paint the tube, you might still be able to see air bubbles in the glue or other inperfections. if you paint the inside of the blank it should mean that you can't see these as the paint goes over the glue

that's my understanding of it anyway.

kevrob

Ok, another newbie question. Do you just use a regular paint or will another product give you a better finished look? I only asked because I saw a video today on YouTube about turning shredded money blanks and if I recall the person used some special paint....

Tanner

I just use testers model car paint. Spray a little in a leftover baggie and dip a cheap little kids paint brush in it. I think they come in a pack of 20 or more.

Stick Rounder

Ok, another newbie question. Do you just use a regular paint or will another product give you a better finished look? I only asked because I saw a video today on YouTube about turning shredded money blanks and if I recall the person used some special paint....

The guy in the video used black dye which is fine. ANY spray paint will work just fine. Painting the inside of the blank covers inperfections in the gluing process. Epoxy is better than CA. Longer work time and less bubbles.

toolcrazy

Very nice pen. The only person that would notice the tubes showing would be the turner. I have found that most customers either don't care or don't notice. I still paint all the tubes of my acrylic pens.

jskeen

I find that painting the inside of the blank tends to work better. The texture of the drilled hole seems to hold the paint better and as mentioned, any bubbles are between the paint and the tube, not between the blank and the paint. If you are impatient, and the paint is still soft, it is possible to scrape it off when putting in the tube, and the ca seems to facilitate this to a degree by softening the paint. Either let the paint get really dry (like overnight) or another thing I found is that you can chamfer the outside of the end of the tubes just enough to break that corner, and reduce the tendency. I use a reloading tool intended to deburr and chamfer cartridge casing mouths for reloading. That don't fix it 100percent of the time, but it helps.

elody21

I use a dye instead of painting the inside of the blank. I have used wood dye and leather dye. The leather dye comes in a lot more colors.
Alice

Actually painting the inside of the blank before gluing in tube is suppose to work better. Ive done both and had em work.

Top Bottom