Slim sewer pipe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lorbay

lorbay

Slim line in a piece green sewer pipe. Blank compliments of Bruce119.

Comments welcome.

Lin.

Attachments

• PA250325.JPG
    PA250325.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 323
  • PA250326.JPG
    PA250326.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Take a drive down a country road. Road graders break them up all the time. Then cut it with the bandsaw. Turns really easy and as you can see, it polishes really nicely too.

Oh, you live north of Vegas, they don't have dirt roads there! JK. Care to try some, PM me.

bruce119

I am told black can be used for just about anything. If you look at it before it goes into the ground most utilities will mark it with a stripe of paint. If it is unmarked you can pretty much bet it is sewer or drainage.

And the pipe that I use is most defiantly virgin unused pipe. I obtain it from a good connection for the county. It was destine for the landfill it is pipe that was rejected due to stuff like small cracks ans imperfections.

It has many uses it makes great finishing bushings for a CA finish without the contamination you would get from the metal ones.

gallianp

Where would you find pipe with a wall thick enough to have pen turning ability? Must be very large pipe.

snyiper

I believe the Black pipe was Cast Iron (hard to turn) lol. The PVC pipes like the green sewer and the regular white as well as blue poly can be cut and put in a oven and they will go flat with little effort from you then they can be glued together to get the thickness. Id like to try to do some of these this winter. Being a Plumber myself that would be a suitable pen!!!

bruce119

Where would you find pipe with a wall thick enough to have pen turning ability? Must be very large pipe.

The typical water main is 12" pipe that has a wall thickness of 3/4"
16" pipe has a wall 1" and I even have in the purple reclaim 20" pipe with a thickness of 1-1/4" thick enough for bottle stoppers.

bruce119

Actually the black around here is a fiber type material. I tried it and it is unsuitable for turning. I tired very hard to find black PVC and was unsuccessful. I also tried to find white PVC thicker than 1/2" and was unsuccessful and I had some very experienced people helping me.

Chief Hill

Well the blue pipe they have here isn't that thick. My streets sewars and watermains are being done as we speak there is thousands of feet of blue pipe all over the place in different diameters. They all seem to be no more than about 1/4" thick max... I am going to ask these guys if they have some of the heavy duty thick stuff.

stolicky

Black pipe can be many different things. Ductile iron is typically used for water these days, at least in the northeast. Not something you want on a wood lathe!

If it is mostly black pipe, but has a thin yellow stripe on it, it is natural gas.

Here is a condensed version of industry color best practices
Yellow - gas, oil, petroleum products, hazardous liquids, etc.
Red - electric
Orange - communications
Green - sewer
Blue - water
Purple - reclaimed water or radioactive materials

cnirenberg

OK Bruce,
What kind of pipe is 12" diameter and black? At a construction site recently I noticed that this pipe was being fused together to make a really long pipe.

That pipe was probably was HDPE pipe (High Density Polyethylene Pipe). Don't know what it looks like when turned, or finished. It's not as rigid as you may think, it is used as sleeving or carrier pipe when drilling under roads, waterways etc.

snyiper

Bruce the black plastic that may work may be ABS it is solid black I only work with it up to about 2 in, Im not sure how big it gets but it is schedule 40 I believe. Then there is a charcole grey which is a schedule 80 but I guess it varies with the region.

Daniel

I don't think so. I've never seen any that has a nose. Okay enough already. it has a smell like any other plastic and in fact can give off some pretty bad to breath stuff if it gets to warm. I have seen uses for it that require that you heat it with a torch to mold it and that idea came with warnings about ventilation and such. I am not sure turning and drilling would get it that warm but do be careful just in case.

Just curious, does sewer pipe smell when you turn it?? :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

Daniel

There is also grey PVS Electrical conduit that is for underground use. You could have a black pipe with a red stripe and it is still supposed to mean Electrical. White pipe is also water. The truth is there are so many compinations and materials that you can't account for all of them. they just replaced the natural gase lines in my neighborhood. that was a 6" pipe with at best a 1/4" wall thickness black pipe with yellow stripes. they ran a 3/4 inch length of the same type of pipe to within 36 inches of our meter where it changed to a grey more ridgid pipe. not sure but I think that last piece was iron pipe. it then goes from there for about 30 feet as black iron pipe into the house.

Black pipe can be many different things. Ductile iron is typically used for water these days, at least in the northeast. Not something you want on a wood lathe!

If it is mostly black pipe, but has a thin yellow stripe on it, it is natural gas.

Here is a condensed version of industry color best practices
Yellow - gas, oil, petroleum products, hazardous liquids, etc.
Red - electric
Orange - communications
Green - sewer
Blue - water
Purple - reclaimed water or radioactive materials

mvaldez

if you want pipe to turn, look for your local utility supply co. I work for HD Supply Waterworks in San Antonio, Tx. we have over 200 stores around the nation. I always have broken pipe that i give away or sell to customers for odd projects the have around their house. Ask for C-900 pipe. it is the thickest one.

Jgrden

That is a nice color. Soft, suptle, pleasing. I would call it Sea Foam Green. It is like Corian. You just don't use the words Corian or Sewer if you want to sell pens.

Attachments

• gas.gif
    gas.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 119
Top Bottom