Slim Kitties (sort of)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry in Harrow

Extended Slimline Pens:
1__S60_Extended-Slimline-Black-Chrome_Wenge-Bleached-Dyed-Orange.jpg

1__S61_Extended-Slimline-Black-Chrome_Wenge-Bleached-Dyed-Amber.jpg

These Slims remind me of cats for some reason. Both are Wenge, bleached and redyed with alcohol based analine dyes. The Tiger is dyed orange and the Tabby is amber.
The finish is one coat of thin CA to seal the dye and three coats of medium CA to fill the rather large pores. The usual MM to 12000 was used followed with a plastic polish, Maguiar's PlastX.
I don't usually use CA as a finish at all but needed it in this case to fill the rather large pores of Wenge. My practise pen was Red Oak, also very ring porous.
1__S65_Slimline-Extended_Gold_Red-Oak.jpg

If your not familiar with Wenge, with it's large pores here's a shot that will demonstrate what I mean. The Tabby surrounded by two sets of wenge barrels (angel cut this time) awaiting the bleach and dye ordeal.
1__S61_Wenge-Blanks-1.jpg

Thanks for looking and a big thanks to Mr. Goodin. These pens were turned Center to Center using John's steel and delrin bushings. Without the accuracy possible with his products the finishing process would be much more difficult and probably impossible.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

What a beautiful job of "upgrading" slim kits to some very nice pens. I have some wenge that I was planning on bleaching, but for some reason, I never considered staining the wood after bleaching to get a really terrific effect.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Jim Smith

David Keller

Very nice... very nice indeed! I think I can figure it out, but how does one go about making this pen? Seems like I remember a link to a tutorial, but I've long forgotten where.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Really cool, Larry! I never would have thought to do that with Wenge. But the grain patterns are perfect for that "cat" look.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I found this sack of about 100 Slimline kits hiding in the shop and am having some fun playing with designs.
David asked about a tutorial: Sorry I can't help you there David. I just mix and match the different 7mm bushing sizes. I undercut the clip barrel a bit to fit the other barrel at the center joint.
Paul asked about the extension: These were done with a 2.375" long nib barrel and the clip barrel is kit length. I've experimented a bit but this size seems to work and I get 4 tubes from a 10" piece of brass.

its_virgil

David,
I tried to attach a pdf of how I make a modified slimline very similar to the ones in this thread. I could not get the file to attach so you will have to look on my website. Go to http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles and look at the last article in the list. Look at the others also. You may find something you want to try.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

...but how does one go about making this pen? Seems like I remember a link to a tutorial, but I've long forgotten where.

lapdog

Larry,

How do you go about the bleaching? Both the pens look great and I do not care much for wenge in the natural dark state. This is definitely something that I would like to try.

Linda

Larry,

How do you go about the bleaching? Both the pens look great and I do not care much for wenge in the natural dark state. This is definitely something that I would like to try.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Thanks. I used plain old swimming pool chlorine. Just swabbed it on and let it sit until dry. It took a couple applications and some careful touch-ups but it worked. If you get it too wet the dark brown colour tends to bleed back out of the pores and causes blotchiness (if that 's a word). Laundry bleach would probably also work, it's pretty much the same chemical.
I did try two part "Wood Bleach" but it didn't have much affect. Hope that helps.
Oh ya, wear old clothes.:biggrin:

johnnycnc

Very cool concept, Larry! Those look great, I like the cats.:)
Looks like you have gotten some nice shop time.

Thanks for the good word on the bushings
John

Top Bottom