A slew of segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mick

mick

Since I got my new table saw I'm gone crazy building segmented blanks. I've shown a couple of this earlier but here's all of them I finished this weekend. Comments and criticism

This one's made from Bloodwood and Maple with Blackwood accents.

2008471441_SierraSegment.jpg

Here's a Cigar from the same woods, same pattern, my wife calls this Harlequin

20084714536_Cigharlequin.jpg

Purpleheart/Maple with Blackwood modified checkerboard

20084714742_CigPurpleBlkSeg.jpg

Walnut/Maple with Paduak accents

20084714857_CigMapleWalnutPadauk.jpg

Connie call this one Eichser Steps...notice the switch back on the upper blank. I wasn't paying attention when I lined the segments up.
This one is Paduak and Maple.

20084715226_CigBloodMapleSteps.jpg

Lastly is a Baron I'm kinda proud of. Most of my other segmented blanks I've been buying from RonMc as checkerboard blanks and segmenting them in whatever pattern I want. This pen however I built the blank from scratch. It's Curly Maple, Blackwood, Mulberry and Bloodwood. It's done in a simple stairstep pattern. But what makes this one different from any of my others is the custom finial. What with all the talk on here this past week of turning our own finials I thought I'd give it a try.

20084715850_Baron4ColorSeg.jpg

2008472020_BaronPicky4Color.jpg

Close up of the finial. I think next time I will try for a lower profile

2008472149_Baron4ColorSegCap.jpg

Thanks eveyone for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Mike,
Tell Connie we think alike -- I call the one I evolved from Ron's Morning After The Harlequin too. :D[8D]
Good workmanship; I really like the last one with the 4-piece finial. Yummm.

Texatdurango

Out of all that...... the finali grabbed my attention the most. Pretty slick!

I wonder if the end of a Sierre can be popped off and replaced with a custom piece? Looks like I'll have to head out to the shop and find out!:)

thetalbott4

You definetly have a knack for segmenting. Really nice work. The finial on the baron takes the pen from really good to something special.

karlkuehn

Banned
Beautiful stuff Mike! I love the Escher reference. His is not a name I've seen posted around here with regard to a pen, but it's fitting for that one! He's my favorite pencil artist by a long shot. I love that picky picky picky rock! LOL

mick

Originally posted by spitfire

Very nice, you did that on a table saw????Did you make a jig to do so? If so have any details?
Yeah Jason it's all done on the TS I built a sled to fit in both miter slots and I have various small fences and stops to attach go give me the desired angles Plus a tuggle clamp to hold down the work when you get close to the blade

Tanner

Dang, you have mad segmenting skills!! Sweet custom finial on the baron!! I really have to get a table saw. What table saw did you get?

mick

Originally posted by Tanner

Dang, you have mad segmenting skills!! Sweet custom finial on the baron!! I really have to get a table saw. What table saw did you get?

Thanks,guys....I love building blanks almost as much as I do penturning!

Tim, I bought a Bosch contractor's saw, model 4000. I was looking at that type saw anyway as my shop space is limited. This saw is head and shoulders above the other contractors types I looked at. The fence is heavy duty and very accurate. The saw just has a solid feel to it. Best of all it came with a wheeled stand. When you're done using it, it tilts up and rolls over out of the way. The sweetest part of the whole deal? Lowes had it on closeout. Reg. price 549...sale price...301. I couldn't pass it up!

bitshird

Love the finial,I'd say you have developed some serious segmenting skills, Nice to tribute an artist like M.C. Eischer, The turn back is rather like his staircase illustration

Top Bottom