SL muse on the loose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chuck Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Key

Someone in another group came up with a challenge concerning making a pen from recycled material. Had to be a slimline as I recall.

200569164743_GROUNDS2.jpg

The section under the clip measures .234" in diameter.

Chuckie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Huh, interesting design! OK, what's the material, and what the heck is the finial? Looks like it might be painful!

Given the diameter of the smaller diameter section near the nib, I'm guessing that you didn't use a brass tube, at least in that section. Is that correct?

Chuck Key

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Huh, interesting design! OK, what's the material, and what the heck is the finial? Looks like it might be painful!

Given the diameter of the smaller diameter section near the nib, I'm guessing that you didn't use a brass tube, at least in that section. Is that correct?

It had to be recycled material. I used a discarded sink cutout from a Corian counter top. The final is supposed to be a PDA Stylus using a dart point and you are correct, no brass tube under the clip.

So far the Commonwealth has the Texans outnumbered...

Chuckie
Richmond, VA

JimGo

Chuckie, the PDA stylus is a neat idea. Only problem is, I KNOW I'd stab myself with that thing! I wonder if you could make it so it could be slid inside the cap, but pulled out when the user wanted it.

I'm impressed with the tubeless design; I think I probably would have just wound up with a parted-off piece!

Chuck Key

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Chuckie, the PDA stylus is a neat idea. Only problem is, I KNOW I'd stab myself with that thing! I wonder if you could make it so it could be slid inside the cap, but pulled out when the user wanted it.

I'm impressed with the tubeless design; I think I probably would have just wound up with a parted-off piece!

Your stylus idea would not be that hard to do. I put a thread in the end cap and the dart point just screws on the end. Would just need to devise on that is reversable. As far as parting off the tubless piece no mishaps there. Surprised me, if something can break i usually break it.

Chuckie

J. Fred Muggs

That is about as different a pen as I have seen since the ugly pen contest back in January. I think you woulda lost, however. This one really doesn't look all that bad.

Ben

I REALLY LIKE IT WHEN WE CAN THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, or OUTSIDE THE PEN as it is in this case... Weird or not, I think you're onto something! Keep up the great work...

Ben

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />Someone in another group came up with a challenge concerning making a pen from recycled material. Had to be a slimline as I recall.

200569164743_GROUNDS2.jpg
<br />

The section under the clip measures .234" in diameter.

Chuckie

Voting by email is in progress for this challenge. The prizes at stake include:

1st place - a priority mail box full of highly figured maple burl, valued at
$55.00
2nd place - a priority mail box of Arizona Olive turning stock, valued at
$38.00
3rd place - 10 mesquite pen blanks, valued at $17.50.

I could really use a few blanks and request your vote. Just go to one of the following links. Click the Vote Now link and a ballot will appear. Just hit send to submit your vote.

http://www.firechat.com/vote.htm or
http://www.theperfectcollection.com/vote.htm

Thanks
Chuckie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom