Skullized Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

This is an idea that I have been working on for a while for some of my coworkers. (Young Guys) So I put the tubes together and took a ride over to danroggensee's shop to introduce him to Alumilite and Charlies resin saver cigar mold. Dan has already ordered the mold but had not seen how the alumilite worked, so I spent a couple hours with him in his shop and showed him what I knew :confused: and we cast this pen with white tubes and one with black tubes and while they set up I got to know Dan a little bit and make a new friend at the same time. :highfive: We cast it on the table top, just mix and pour and let it set up and poked any bubbles that came up. The Skulls are Confetti that I got from Michaels and I glued each one on the tubes using medium CA. I turned it using my new wood chuck and it has been MM to 12000. It still has some small bubbles but they make it look like the skulls are in water.
Any comments are welcome! and Thanks for looking. From Dan and I :biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• skulls 001.jpg
    skulls 001.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 355
  • skulls 013.jpg
    skulls 013.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 298
  • skulls 015.jpg
    skulls 015.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 155
  • skulls 021.jpg
    skulls 021.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Jeff, I am still working on getting rid of the small Bubbles.

If you have one, a vacuum before mixing may help. Use the pump to
de-gas the bottles before you mix. And Alumilite needs a bit of extra time,
since it sets fast but still isn't really all that hard. That can allow the resin
to warp and twist when you turn it, since it is still flexible.. and that can
give you the silvery shimmer as you open up an airspace between the
tube and the resin.

I also find that warming both the resin and the mold helps.

These look great .. :biggrin:

Dan's mold went out on Saturday.. Pahrump is getting over-represented
in molds.. :tongue:

burgerman

Very nice pens! Great for the season. Really can't see the bubbles in the photo.

After gluing on the skulls with med. CA, did you coat the tubes with anything
as a sealer? Thanks.

maxman400

After gluing on the skulls with med. CA, did you coat the tubes with anything
as a sealer? Thanks.[/quote]
No I did not, and I am thinking that, that is where I am getting most of the bubbles from. I am going to do some more of these and I think I will apply some thin CA to it after I am done gluing with the medium, to fill in any small air space's left.

maxman400

There are two rows of them, one to cover the tubes and one to cover the empty spots. So it appears that there are skulls looking out from behind the others.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Max , I like what you've done here . Great idea . For some reason the Black Ti looks the best . May be the black & white theme . Anyway , very good job !

Top Bottom