Skull & Slimline Today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sataro

Sataro

Customer wanted the bronze skull pen to be made with a black blank with lines through it. Wasn't what I thought should go with the pen set but customer is always right... Now that I've made it, I think I actually like the black blank. Now if only the pen fittings would fit as they should. Nib has a burr of some sort inside of it. Had to take a round file & work on the inside of the nib for the pen tip to properly extend through the opening. No problem, just a little extra work. Got it in the house to put a coat of ren wax on & discover it still wants to hang up when trying to extend the pen tip. Too late to go back to the shop tonight. Will work on it tomorrow after work.
I need to make sure upper barrel is pressed firmly down on lower barrel before taking pics. That will eliminate the gap you may see in the photo.

Slimline made for a customer who brought me a branch off of a redwood tree to make it out of. Branch was special to the person because she picked it up while on vacation some time ago.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

I had those problems and more with the kit.
As far as the gap. Take the top of the pen off and look inside. You need to use something (like a wooden dowel) to push the twist mech. so it is level with the inside of the band and not the outside. This allows the bottom coupler to fit inside of the band as it should and gets rid of the gap.
I hope I explained that ok
I had to take the pen apart 4 times before I got all of the nubs cleaned up and then the issue with the twist mech.
With that said. I love the way the pen looks. I made one for my son for his birthday.
I will post it soon.
Alice

Last edited:

Sataro

I had those problems and more with the kit.
As far as the gap. Take the top of the pen off and look inside. You need to use something (like a wooden dowel) to push the twist mech. so it is level with the inside of the band and not the outside. This allows the bottom coupler to fit inside of the band as it should and gets rid of the gap.
I hope I explained that ok
I had to take the pen apart 4 times before I got all of the nubs cleaned up and then the issue with the twist mech.
With that said. I love the way the pen looks. I made one for my son for his birthday.
I will post it soon.
Alice

Thanks for the info Alice! I did have to polish the inside of that nib to get it smooth enough to work properly. I didn't really have a problem with the gap. I just didn't push the top on tight before I took my pictures. I'm glad you pointed that out to me though. My top may fit on there a little better if I adjust the twist mechanism. So I will look into it. Thanks for the info...

magpens

I wouldn't even be bothered with that pen kit .... just the look of it puts me off :biggrin::biggrin:

Sataro

I wouldn't even be bothered with that pen kit .... just the look of it puts me off :biggrin::biggrin:

LoL, I understand what you are saying...but a lot of my pen making is dictated by cash flow. This is what the customer requested so that is what I make.

My brother is a big harley rider. Rides with a lot of harley riders. He saw the pen this weekend. I'm going to have make him one now. Always trying to market my pens any way that I can...

OZturner

Great Pens Billy,
I also like the Black Blank on the Skull, looks Terrific.
Also looks like the Redwood Branch, could have been interesting with those twig knots,
Well done.
Brian.

Top Bottom