Skip/Butch/RickH pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

Other than a Jr Statesman that I'm saving for who knows what, I have completely run out of kits. I'm scrounging out of my parts box now from pens ruined long ago.

Inspired by Skip, this is a 7mm tube with 7mm slim cross transmission, but reverse installed with a Parker Refill !

Inspired by Butch...finial twist action

Inspired by Rick Herrell..split cartridge

The antler was on it's way to the trash bin, but some time back people told me here not to discard the pithy punk antlers. I cast the antler in a green alumilite. I cut an antler design through the cast antler and poured it with black inlace so as to limit any bleed effect. I used (2) 7mm tubes and (1) 0 tube from a click kit gone bad (as they all seem to!). The 0 tube is a perfect snug fit for a cigar clip, and the o/d of a cigar clip is darn near the same as a 30/06 casing. a 7mm tube slides real nice inside an 0 tube. The finial twist is also a 30/06 bullet with a straight back end, I simply cut off the tapered end and melted out the lead, and a small dowel connects the bullet to the 7mm tube which holds the revers mounted transmission. The Parker refill required just a tiny shave. The outer diameter of the plastic on the back of a Parker fits snug inside the back of a 7mm tranny, so you have to shave just a touch off the parker diameter so it glides up and down the tranny. Thanks for looking. I know it's not a perfect pen, but I'm pretty proud of it on a first attempt.

Attachments

• antlerkitless 004.jpg
    antlerkitless 004.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 383
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Boy, that is a great job! I just can't get my head around this revers transmission thing. Guess I'll have to try it to figure it out. Like that pen! Really like the inlay.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very well done Jeff, it looks fantastic:biggrin:........

BUT......................

................not half as good as a certain box of early Christmas presents that just arrived from Eaton Rapids and is screaming for my attention.!!!!!! I pick one up and think 'this is my favourite' then I pick up another and think ' No, THIS is my favourite' :confused: Decisions, decisions:biggrin:. Thanks Jeff. Every item will be put to good use.:biggrin: They are superb!!

workinforwood

Thanks for the great feedback.

Here's the guts. Notice the refill, the o/d at the end of the parker just slightly shaved off so that it glides smoothly in the back of the transmission. The tranny pressed into a short piece of 7mm tube, the 7mm tube joins into the bullet with a small dowel. The operation seems much smoother than the traditional 7mm twist. I believe it is in part because under normal operation, when you twist a pen, the transmission is pushing the two halves of the pen apart. Installing in reverse like this, the transmission is only pushing the ink out. There is no space between the finial twist bullet and the finial, and when twisting no space develops. Or I could be wrong on that and it's simply more comfortable to twist the end? Either way, it's definitely smoother!

Attachments

• ba.jpg
    ba.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 74
Top Bottom