Size does matter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 08K.80

08K.80

It is finally finished!

This is the 50 caliber bullet pen.
I have over ten hours in making the bullet... I'm sure someone here has made one from this material, but it's a first and a last for me. The material is very hard to cut, turn and drill. I broke a drill bit on this. I'm sure if it has been used before, there was better success. Anyone wanting to try this material, I wish you the best!

I did the best I could and I truly hope it meets expectations.

Oooh, and the material is a solid copper rod.

50Caliber_zps6d49054a.jpg

Thank you for looking... and please don't be too harsh.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

That's a beauty for sure.
How big around is a 50 cal?
I tried some copper early on and I agree, it is a huge challenge to work with.
I can turn brass all day long but copper...no way!

Joe S.

Looks good! M3 metals are a LOT easier to work with, and look almost exactly the same. Just if you are looking for a metal alternative in the future. (They are a little expensive though...)

Just curious, how did it take you 10 hours? That seems a little long to me, even you do take your time. Again, I'm just curious!

08K.80

I don't know for sure. I will have to measure it.

Nice! The bullet looks a little long, but I like the form.

It is a little longer than the real bullet. About 3/16". The kit said to use either 1-1/8" or 2", so I Made it 1-1/2" trying to get it closer to the correct length.

Looks good! M3 metals are a LOT easier to work with, and look almost exactly the same. Just if you are looking for a metal alternative in the future. (They are a little expensive though...)

Just curious, how did it take you 10 hours? That seems a little long to me, even you do take your time. Again, I'm just curious!

Thanks for the tip, but this was given to me to use for this pen. Trust me, this stuff is very difficult to work with. It comes off in little tiny pieces and isn't anywhere close to smooth when done turning. So, there is a LOT of sanding. I dulled the crap out of my turning tool. A guy gave me one that he said is specifically for metal, but it didn't work much better.

Sometimes the joy is in the journey.

It was a journey all right. I am fairly pleased with it and I hope the brother is too.

SDB777

When I was actually reloading and firing this caliber, I often had best results seating my projectile into the lands(I don't recommend amateurs to try this ~ it worked for me, but I'm sure if it weren't for the extreme build quality of my rifle, pressures would have blown the action apart)....I digress, back to the reason I started typing!

The long, sleek look by having more 'projectile' hanging out is quite attractive to actual 50BMG shooters! Well done!!

Scott (bringing back memories of firing range in the early morning) B

It is finally finished!

This is the 50 caliber bullet pen.
I have over ten hours in making the bullet... I'm sure someone here has made one from this material, but it's a first and a last for me. The material is very hard to cut, turn and drill. I broke a drill bit on this. I'm sure if it has been used before, there was better success. Anyone wanting to try this material, I wish you the best!

I did the best I could and I truly hope it meets expectations.

Oooh, and the material is a solid copper rod.

50Caliber_zps6d49054a.jpg

Thank you for looking... and please don't be too harsh.

Looks great! If you want to make more, you could just buy actual bullets. Did you make the shell too?

Measurements are in inches.
284px-50_bmg_12.7x99.svg.png

sbell111

.50 cal is .5 inch in your calipers,....as .30 cal is .30(8) inch....22 cal is .22 inch, etc...

You would think that that would be true, but it isn't.

.50 BMG bullets are actually .51 inches in diameter.

Top Bottom