Sinker Pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

This was sent as Sinker Pine over 90 years old. The grain shows up really nice. Easy to cut and to finish.

Pens - 5-12-12 #85 Sinker Pine 100 yrs. old 1.jpg

Pens - 5-12-12 #85 Sinker Pine 100 yrs. old 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

:):) Very nice pen John!! Up here in the Great Lakes we have a lot of logs that have broken off of the old log rafts and sunk to the bottom. The cold water keeps any fungus from forming in the logs so they don't rot. I think if you were to look in any river, lake, or body of water where lumberjacks floated trees to sawmills, you would find some "sinkers" as the are called around these parts. There a several companys that salvage these logs around here and mill and sell the wood. These are "old growth" trees, and fetch top dollar for there beautyful color and grain. Jim S

Jgrden

:):) Very nice pen John!! Up here in the Great Lakes we have a lot of logs that have broken off of the old log rafts and sunk to the bottom. The cold water keeps any fungus from forming in the logs so they don't rot. I think if you were to look in any river, lake, or body of water where lumberjacks floated trees to sawmills, you would find some "sinkers" as the are called around these parts. There a several companys that salvage these logs around here and mill and sell the wood. These are "old growth" trees, and fetch top dollar for there beautyful color and grain. Jim S

Thank you for your insight. You gave me more information to pass onto potential buyers making me a richer man. :wink:

robutacion

Thank you for your insight. You gave me more information to pass onto potential buyers making me a richer man. :wink:

Hahahah, I first look at the thread title and though, "that's a species of Pine I never heard of, before...!), but now after reading a bit more of the thread, I realised why that name, which I didn't connect at first, which I should have but, oh well, I'm only human...!:wink:

Any wood that is cured under water, is always different and worth a fair amount of dollars, I only wish that the only log that I found under water, was as big as some of those "big boys" that sunk many years ago...!:frown:

Pines are good and you done a good job on that piece, mate...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

SDB777

Not the first material I go looking for, but knowing what it looks like now.....well, I might just have to keep my eye's open!

Well turned!!

Scott

Top Bottom