Single-sided scallops in Walnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Krash

Krash

Good morning!

I have been playing with this blank for a while trying to prove a concept to myself. I wanted to create single-sided scallops and used a piece of scrap walnut to practice on. While I was successful geting the scallops, I didn't like the seam still visable. Maybe if I use a different type of wood it might disguise it better. I grabbed some other wood and finished it this weekend.

Comments welcome and encouraged!

Attachments

• pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 259
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 199
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 200
  • pen4.jpg
    pen4.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 216
  • pen5.jpg
    pen5.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Well done Kelly!! Looks like you had a tiny deviation between top and bottom, happens 99% of the time. Great glue lines and matching woods with your idea!!

Krash

Well done Kelly!! Looks like you had a tiny deviation between top and bottom, happens 99% of the time. Great glue lines and matching woods with your idea!!

Thanks Jim.

I think it is too much to ask of the mandrel and tubing to match the top part to the bottom perfectly. It kind of bugged me when I first put it together but the take-away is to maybe not try to do that and stagger the diameter of the end of the band to the top of the bottom part. That way I'll have a little slop to play with and it won't be so noticable.

The landscape bark was fun to incorporate! I was walking in my back yard and saw some thick pieces that had interesting grain and thought, "Why not?" I think it turned out well and I plan to do a whole pen in it soon.

Jim Burr

Banned

Thanks Jim.

I think it is too much to ask of the mandrel and tubing to match the top part to the bottom perfectly. It kind of bugged me when I first put it together but the take-away is to maybe not try to do that and stagger the diameter of the end of the band to the top of the bottom part. That way I'll have a little slop to play with and it won't be so noticable.

The landscape bark was fun to incorporate! I was walking in my back yard and saw some thick pieces that had interesting grain and thought, "Why not?" I think it turned out well and I plan to do a whole pen in it soon.

And that is a great reason to do fun stuff!! You will find a member that will accuse you of using others people's work and pressing parts...do not listen him! Most of the fun we have is making the backyard stuff really cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Krash

And that is a great reason to do fun stuff!! You will find a member that will accuse you of using others people's work and pressing parts...do not listen him! Most of the fun we have is making the backyard stuff really cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Just doin my own thing here .... Learning some techniques from all you experts then trying to come up with some original ideas. Most are original only to me since it's all been tried before. But I'm not off looking to copy anybody else's work. But if I do, I'll credit them like I did earlier with the scalloping and Mike's examples. So far I've found something that pleases my eye and I haven't exhausted my ideas yet. So, expect more "new" ideas from me in the future as I have a couple things to try brewing in my head.

It's all fun .....

Top Bottom