Single Cylinder Hairy Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

Hairy Oak so called because it has up to an inch thick bark made up of dense hair like material. The timber is hard as to drill, turns well and accepts a great finish.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0033-1.JPG
    DSCF0033-1.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 372
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Geeze! That thing looks like an alien ray gun or something! I love the oak turning especially the high contrast rays. The ray gun is growing on me!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PenPal

Hi, The top is part of a dentist drill quick connect modified. I have fun collecting had this for years waiting for two days ago.
Regards Peter. I will do a cross cut Hairy Oak in a couple of weeks it the grain leaps out then.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nicely done Peter. Very innovative with the quick connector. Is the matching female part of the connector suitable for making a cap?

PenPal

Hi Steven, I only had this piece and had to cut out the guts and cut it twice using the metal lathe (Hercus) and a turntable tool rest fitted with a Dremel and black cut off disk. I bought a 340,000 air driven handpiece recently 4 1/2 inches long takes 1.6 bits/ has ceramic dry bearings.Made in Japan, waiting on a free compressor etc from a dental tech firm. Next pen is a handpiece from a dentist modified. If you can get old dental handpieces they have lots of threaded parts etc. Pic shows the set up at the time cutting a circlip groove in Stainless Rod. Note the dremel fits neat into the extruded Aluminium piece, the extrusion is used by firms making truck swivels for tailgates.

Regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0004 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0004 [640x480].JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 164

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So it is just a "kit" pen!!
Tailgate kit, coupled with dental accessories, all the things we would normally have "laying around the house"

Great job, Peter!!

A package is going out to you today. The Penn State stuff and some other ballast.

Top Bottom