Sindora Burl..........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

as been a while I didn't post a pen on IAP, so here's one and he took me several weeks after looking at the blank to decided myself to turn it, this blank of Sindora Burl as been given to me by a friend ( from who say ) "the burl as been recovered from the Mekong River, which divides Thailand and Laos, about 10 years ago. Thousands of trees were apparently dropped into the river during the deforestation which occurred during the Vietnam war."This Burl is awesome and only a top of the range kit can do it honor, have a hi-cup with the finish as I find that the Brul is oily so have to redo the finish 2 coats of CA , buff with tripoli, white diamond, polished with Renaissance wax, all comments welcome.

Here's the blank
20075545549_sindoraburlB.jpg

This was a suprise to me as I was filling up the crack with CA the crack turn up GREEN
20075545633_sindoraburlA.jpg

Here's the pen
2007555354_sindora%20burl.jpg

2007555451_sindora%20burl2.jpg

2007555534_sindora%20burl3.jpg

In another note I have been asked by friends from my woodturning club to present my pens at The Australian Woodturning Exhibition and Competition ( June 15th, 16th, 17th ) so this one will be in the judging basket with another one, who is in process to be finished in time, date line is 21st May for me, the exhibition never have pens in display so I will be the first one to present some pens in miscelleaneous entries.

Thanks for looking

2007555618_sindora%20burl4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Serge,
Nice blank and you made a very nice pen from it. Workmanship and finish is your usual fine job. And, I like the great story that goes with the blank...a special pen.

And, congratulations on having your pens in the Aus. Woodturning Exhibition. Good luck and I hope you bring her home a winner.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Darley
<br />as been a while I didn't post a pen on IAP, so here's one and he took me several weeks after looking at the blank to decided myself to turn it, this blank of Sindora Burl as been given to me by a friend ( from who say ) "the burl as been recovered from the Mekong River, which divides Thailand and Laos, about 10 years ago. Thousands of trees were apparently dropped into the river during the deforestation which occurred during the Vietnam war."This Burl is awesome and only a top of the range kit can do it honor, have a hi-cup with the finish as I find that the Brul is oily so have to redo the finish 2 coats of CA , buff with tripoli, white diamond, polished with Renaissance wax, all comments welcome.

In another note I have been asked by friends from my woodturning club to present my pens at The Australian Woodturning Exhibition and Competition ( June 15th, 16th, 17th )

Draken

Pen looks great, you did a fine job with it. Would the second pen be the reclaimed pine? If so, nice theme you have going on with the woods you've selected.

Darley

Originally posted by latech15
<br />I couldn't see in the finished pic....did the cracks stay green?

A beautiful pen indeed.

Jeff sure he did but not as big
2007583582_green%20in%20burl1.jpg
<br />
20075835836_green%20in%20burl2.jpg
<br />

James sure it's in the pipe line, hopefuly ready in time.

Thanks again for your comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom