A Simple Silver, Opal and PR Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Could not agree more. We've come a long way from the beginning of this hobby a few short years ago but you've made the beginning look light years ago. I don't know how I missed this the fist time around.
One of the most beautiful pens I've seen on this site or any other! Well done.

Last edited:

SamThePenMan

Amazing work! I was going to ask about the CNC but someone already did. Wish I had room and an excuse to get one, especially after seeing this.

Was wondering, do you reuse your wax? When I worked at a high school we had desktop CNC machines, one of them we used a dark blue wax, may have come with the mill, though I'm not sure. We used a hot plate and a cheap aluminium pot to melt the wax shavings and the things the students made (mostly just carving their name as the software that came with it was pretty limited), then just poured it into a mold used for small (maybe 4"x8") brownies or something like that. Though we did end up with metal shavings in the wax after a while, as sometimes they weren't paying attention and ran the mill into the hold downs and/or the table.

First time I've heard of rotocasting though, I don't think I would have ever thought of doing it like that. Hopefully I can eventually get into casting, even just the regular way seems like it'd be fun with all the possibilities. :)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Sam, there are several machine -able waxes that are made in blue. I dont use them because they tend to have problems in the burn-out part of the lost wax processes because of the what they are made from and some are not intended to be used in casting. I dont keep the shaved wax cuttings. I will save solid chunks of wax left over from the process for remelting and reuse. The shavings tend to have dust or metal or other particles in them that will destroy a casting. That costs more that the wax i would save, a lot more.

Top Bottom