Simple Ebony and Ivory set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

This is a set of new series fountain pen in simple alternate ebony and alternate ivory from Exotic.

I really like these new series FPs. Just wish the threads weren't scratchy.

Attachments

• IMG_1511_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1511_1 (Custom).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1513_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1513_1 (Custom).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1514_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1514_1 (Custom).jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1517_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1517_1 (Custom).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Them is shur purty, Carl! You are the 2nd person to mention the gritty threads on this style. That is enough to give one pause in trying these. Pity! They make for a nice looking pen that I think would sell well for us otherwise.

David M

realy like the way the black one looks on the chrome , for some reason the gold and white is just okay - dont jump out like the other.
You stated that the kit felt scratchy , is it metal on metal couplers ?
David

Carl Fisher

Yes to the metal on metal.

I'd love to find a way to clean up that feel. It's definitely a deterrent to a potential buyer. Otherwise I love everything else about this component set.

plano_harry

The carnuba wax on the threads doesn't help?

I like the look of both. What do you think about the alt materials? Does the ebony have any grain?

Yes to the metal on metal.

I'd love to find a way to clean up that feel. It's definitely a deterrent to a potential buyer. Otherwise I love everything else about this component set.

Carl Fisher

The alternate ebony is pretty much pure black. I've done 2 now and there doesn't appear to be any variation in the color.

I actually haven't tried carnuba yet. They are both packed in my travel bag from the last show and I just haven't broken them back out to play with yet.

The ivory seems to have a very faint grain to it but it's very subtle.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The alternative ivory has a faint grain. The larger the diameter of the ivory when you start, the more grain it has.

So, if you are making a handle for a beer tap and use 39mm stock, it will have a more defined grain (still very subtle, though).

A local guy makes 50 mm boxes with this---it does show a grain pattern.

hewunch

Very nice, I really like that style. I'm not completely sold on the greek key centerband, but that is not your fault. Great work!

Robert111

Really nice set! Too bad about the threads on the new series. Have you tried toothpaste? Plastic polish? Semichrome? All have some grit that might smooth things down. Then a little wax might help, but it also might make things sticky over time.

ironman123

CF, I really like the Ebony but the other one to me is kind of blah. Seems like it is missing something, but like you said (Simple). Give it A+ for Simple.

Ray (I am not mean, just my likes)

Jim Smith

Very pretty pens, classy yet simple. They would go very nicely if you boxed them together in a fancy box and sold them together as a his-n-hers anniversary present.

Jim Smith

Carl Fisher

Spent the day on the road picking up my new scroll saw. I'll pull the pair of these out tomorrow while I'm in the shop and see what, if anything, I can do about the thread issues. Some good suggestions were given above and I'll see if any of them help.

My concern with simply wax is that over time it will loose it's effectiveness and I don't want to tell a customer that he has to wax their threads :eek: every so often or it will start feeling cheap.

Carl Fisher

It's called the "New Series" at Exotic's site. I'm 99% sure it's the Berea kit. I'll grab a few tube dimensions for you tomorrow when I'm out there since I have a few more in the bag.

Top Bottom