Silver Pheasant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from socdad

socdad

This is one have I have wanted to do for a while. Silver Pheasant feathers cast with Silmar 41 Casting Resin on a BlackTi/Platinum Sierra Elegant Beauty Kit from EB.
Thanks for looking and any comments appreciated.

Silver Pheasant.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Looks good Jeff! Silver Pheasant feathers make great looking pens. Yours turned out very nice. Now I just wish the birds were not so darn expensive. lol

I really like this pen. I used to do a lot of fly tying and just love to see these feathers used for this. I have tons of capes downstairs, maybe someday I will take a go at it? Or maybe not. I do love seeing others doing this kind of work though. Nice Job.

socdad

Thanks for the kind words. I would love to find an affordable skin; I'm hoping the owner of the fly tying shop might be interested in a trade for a pen.

JohnU

Thanks for the kind words. I would love to find an affordable skin; I'm hoping the owner of the fly tying shop might be interested in a trade for a pen.

That would be a good deal for you. Hope it works out. I usually pay around $60 to $80 a skin for my silvers. They are hard to find so I expect the price to go up, and often they are yellow and brown stained so you get feathers you can't use. Someday I may raise my own but I'm guessing the kids might not let me use them then. Lol

SDB777

Well done on the casting and the turning!
I've been trying to hard to get my casting of feathers to work, for too long....probably just cross this type of blank off my 'tuit list'. I've ruined more feather then would fit in my pillow! But you seem to have things well under control.

Nicely done, and let us know how the 'trade' works out!!!

Scott (you might take extras to see if he'll display them) B

healeydays

Well done on the casting and the turning!
I've been trying to hard to get my casting of feathers to work, for too long....probably just cross this type of blank off my 'tuit list'. I've ruined more feather then would fit in my pillow! But you seem to have things well under control.

Nicely done, and let us know how the 'trade' works out!!!

Scott (you might take extras to see if he'll display them) B

Teach us. What did you try that didn't work?

socdad

I had dozens of failures before I made one that was worth turning, and still have more that my share.
The process I use is fairly simple & I have had learned by screwing each step at least one time … :redface:
- powder coat tubes white
- glue overlapping feathers to the tube using fly head cement (NOT water base) & let sit overnight
- coat with thin CA & let sit overnight
- heat and degas Silmar 41 with Ultrasonic Cleaner (HF 2.5 Liter)
- pre heat mold (I use PTownSubbie's molds) & tubes in toaster oven
- stir Mekp (catalyst) with a small round dowel rod
- pour resin into mold as gently as possible & let sit overnight (NOT in a cold garage)

Top Bottom