Silver mono swirl Cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

I made a bunch of slimlines for the nurses at our clinic for Nurse's Appreciation Day earlier this year. They were nice but nothing to brag about. Imagine my surprise when one of them, whom I've worked with for about 9 years, asked if I would make a pen & pencil set for her to give to her father for Christmas. She asked for them to be larger diameter and to be black with some silver. Now I won't even pretend to be at the level where I should be selling pens, so I agreed to do it at cost with the condition that if she wasn't satisfied she wouldn't have to pay for the kits. The blanks are silver mono swirl from BTW. I don't know what the resin is but they don't have the depth of shine I get from my own PR or inlace acrylester but I'm still happy with them. I cast my own with the last of my silver mica and didn't wait long enough to mix so I ended up with an almost homogeneous color and had to buy these. Overall I'm happy with them, and hope she will be too. C/C always welcome, except when it comes to my low quality phone pics! Thanks for looking.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

Very nice looking set! I'm sure her father will be very happy receiving that gift.

magpens

Those are gorgeous !!!!! . No reason your coworker should not be thrilled.

I believe the blanks are Alumilite, which is delightful to work with and turn on the lathe, but does not take quite the same finished shine as some other materials.

mecompco

Those look very nice. There's no reason you shouldn't be charging what they're worth. Were those mine, they'd be $54.95 each.

Regards,
Michael

Thanks everyone! I was a bit worried since she was paying for everything including the bushings and drill bit which were basically payment for my work. These comments were a real boost of confidence. As it turned out, she and the others nurses loved them. She thanked me profusely and said she was sure he'd love them. Needless to say, I'm thrilled.

A special thanks to mecompco/Michael, your comment made me smile like a kid on Christmas morning!

Jay

Last edited:

OLIVE WOOD

Her father is about to have a great Christmas. Pens look very nice and are most definitely worthy of selling. Nice work

bpgoldo

T.T., Wonderful classic presentation and finish. The right lighting in photographing them showed the hidden depth and beauty of the blank. Niiiiiiice.

Thanks guys. As for lighting, all the pics were taken on my lathe with my iphone, I have a flo light directly over it which helps a lot. For some reason the pics with them in the case really showed the beauty of the blanks. If I sold pens I'd definitely spend more time on taking quality pictures, I might even use my camera instead of my phone...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Jay:

FWIW: I almost always "trade" my pens for cost of materials (yup, others will do differently). For a large order, maybe a profit. But, to be able to be paid for materials to "Have Fun" is fine with me. So don't feel guilty - the future may be more profitable.

Oh... your work is excellent! These look wonderful.

Hi Jay:

FWIW: I almost always "trade" my pens for cost of materials (yup, others will do differently). For a large order, maybe a profit. But, to be able to be paid for materials to "Have Fun" is fine with me. So don't feel guilty - the future may be more profitable.

Oh... your work is excellent! These look wonderful.

That's how I see it. If I can make pens for friends without going in the hole, and having fun in the process, then that's winning in my book! I wish I could break even on every pen I make. And thank you for the very kind compliment.

Top Bottom