Silver and mammoth tooth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alejanders

Alejanders

My new Best of Best. Silver and mammoth tooth.

Previous pen was made from mammoth tooth of warm yellow color.
This one made from more damaged part of tooth, with black spots, that looks fine with silver.

Attachments

• DSC_0614.jpg
    DSC_0614.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 632
  • DSC_0615.jpg
    DSC_0615.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC_0617.jpg
    DSC_0617.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 357
  • DSC_0620.JPG
    DSC_0620.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_0626.jpg
    DSC_0626.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 391
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

Thumbing through the latest issue of Pen World this evening... they had a Mammoth tooth pen in there. Someone posted a mammoth tooth pen a week or two ago and that was the first I ever saw one. Very neat look, but I'm curious as to what the striations are from...

turncrazy43

Nicely done. I like the bands of colors the tooth gives. Very unusual. Your work is excellent.

Alejanders

Thumbing through the latest issue of Pen World this evening... they had a Mammoth tooth pen in there. Someone posted a mammoth tooth pen a week or two ago and that was the first I ever saw one. Very neat look, but I'm curious as to what the striations are from...

Than you.
I suppose, it was my pen. :)
Mammoth tooth

Striations - is a mammoth tooth structure.

Look this pic:
87524d1357714833-mammoth-tooth-dsc_0380.jpg

Mammoth tooth consists of the separate dentine slices covered with enamel (white straps). The slices are fastened with each other by interlayers of cement

Alejanders

very nive and very different....how hard is it to cut the material to down to blank size?

Pitoon

First time I used bi-metall blades for hand metal-working saw. It takes two full days and about ten blades.

For this pen I used tile saw with a water-cooled diamond blade... And it is not easy too, because tooth have irregular shape and much bigger than disc cutting height.

yaroslaw

Personally I'd like to pay someone to cut tooth to blanks size:)

I will do it with great pleasure becaue my mother-in-law hates its aroma. :smile-big:

It smells like in a dentist cabinet, probably? First time I was working on sperm whale tooth I've had my knees shaken - all bad memories from being a child visiting dentists came...

But I bet your mother-in-law would forget about the smell when she sees a money you've got for that pen!:)

Alejanders

It smells like in a dentist cabinet, probably? First time I was working on sperm whale tooth I've had my knees shaken - all bad memories from being a child visiting dentists came...

But I bet your mother-in-law would forget about the smell when she sees a money you've got for that pen!:)

Yes, It smells like in dentist cabinet, but smell is much stronger and more disgustuing. :)

When I make my first pen from mammoth ivory, i had nightmares abouth mammothes. :)

Fishinbo

Very cool pen! Like the tooth, has interesting patterns, colors and layers. It goes well with the kit. Great fit and finish. Excellent turning!

Top Bottom