Silver and Gold have I none ~ Pen # 27

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

A good friend gave me some home brew PR blanks and this is my very first non-wood turning. I am quite happy with it, except that I think it is a bit too fat (like me:D). I have got to get a more accurate lathe. The barrel is completely out of round, but it looks nice. Do you call this chattoyance in PR also? I love this blank. If my friend gives me permission, I'd like to give him the credit for creating this awesome blank. So J, let me know. This is also the first pen I've ever "named". It is a title from an old song from the 70s and is written elsewhere as part of a great quote by a guy named Peter.

2006314174351_DSCN2233-1.jpg

2006314174413_DSCN2236-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

That came out GREAT Rob! Congrats on your first non-wood turning! What did you think of the process? Doesn't PR stink (literally) when it's turned? Blah! [xx(] But it looks nice when it's done!

As for the shape, I find it difficult to nail the shape for the Sierras. The kit goes together well and the pen looks nice, but it's really tough to find the perfect shape without having the kit next to the blank while you're shaping it.

With respect to the out of round barrel, try turning the barrel itself (without turning the bushings) 90 degrees, do a little touch-up, then repeat the turn and touch-up steps another three times. Yes, technically only two more times are needed by the third is for good luck! [:D]

alamocdc

That's nice looking PR, Rob and the finish looks good. I actually don't mind the smell of PR. Not nearly as bad as antler, but I'm even getting used to that. CA on the other hand... [xx(] Jim's advice on the out of round thing should work. I will also adjust the blank in 45 degrees increments on the bushings. In other words, twist the blank, but hold the bushings so they don't move. You will have to do one at a time, but the idea is to give the blank a new point of reference. I don't know which ones you have, but it could be the bushings too.

BigRob777

Thanks Jim,
And thank you for the blanks. I had no idea that such beauty resided in those little plastic dowels. I'm hooked, but I won't be giving up wood. I would love to combine them.

Everyone else,
I did get Jim's permission to say that the blanks came from him. Awesome stuff and I didn't mind the smell of the turning process. I think that stabilized wood is worse.
Rob

BigRob777

Jim and Billy,
It sounds like you two guys are basically saying the same thing. At least that's how I read it. I have heard of this before. I will try it, but I'm still going to buy a mini. I want one with 1/2hp and variable speed. I hate changing pulleys.
Rob

BigRob777

Billy,
I was on Amazon's waiting list for 4 months. They are just too unreliable. That lathe, the Wilton is only .4 hp, instead of .5, but it would do if they had them in stock. They are still on back order. I ordered one in September or October.
Rob

EDIT: Billy, I just reread your post and realized you weren't talking about the wilton. OOPS! I'm talkint to a member about a Jet, so we'll see. Thanks for looking out for me Bud.
Rob

Rob, as for out of round--------slow down just a bit the blank is most likely getting hot and starts to turn out of round. I was ready to purchase a new lathe as well and a tool and die maker friend told me to let the piece cool from time to time and now it works great. I turn four or five passed and walk away and glue a blank of something and then go back and turn some more until I get it completely round and then it seems to work well.
Terry Blanchard

BigRob777

Thanks Johnathan,
I like the size, because it shows more of the gorgeous "chattoyance". I have no clue what to call it, as it isn't wood.

Terry,
You didn't grow up in Delaware did you? My lathe turns everything out of round. This is my first PR. I am going to be looking into getting a new lathe, but it isn't just because my old work-horse (1947 2hp Delta-Rockwell) turns slightly out of round. I want something I can bring indoors during hot and cold weather. My shop isn't heated, or air conditioned and it gets really hot in summer and cold in winter. Thanks for the info though.
Rob

Draken

Looks good to me too. I don't hardly notice the smell of PR, as the dust collector takes the fumes to a different part of my basement. [}:)] For the out of round problem, I turn my blanks 180 degrees once, as the final sanding, before MM. So far, seems to work for me.

Hey Jim, looks like we may need to bring some of our own "door prizes" to BigRob's BBQ.

Cheers,
Draken

JimGo

James, have you seen Rob's stash? I'm only too glad to barter some of my PR blanks for some of his goodies! Or, even better, to take some of his stuff home as door prizes! :)

BigRob777

Jim,
I've seen my stash and now I've seen what you can do. This is probably the best looking pen I've ever done. You can't tell by the pic, but it actually looks like some deeply chattoyant wood grain, only made of silver. I was somewhat impressed when I finished with 12,000 MM, but when I put on the TSW, Yowsa!!! I ran accross the street with the mandrel and all to whow my neighbor (who will probably be joining this forum soon).

Draken,
Bring what you can and let's do some trading. I can trade this new burl, but can't sell it outright. I am also more than happy to trade from my stash. I'm going to be tackling my messy shop this week, truing up blanks for the burl special and putting the hundreds of shorties and odd pieces into a special also. For some reason, I X-cut a bunch of bocote and just left it on my bench. My shop is full of stuff like that and I'm going to try to make some sense of it, so I can get some woodworking done. I have some desks, an end table and two massive dressers to build.

Of course, I'll stop every now and then to get my lathe fix. Anyway, long story not quite so long, I'll have plenty of cut blanks for you guys to choose from. I can even cut some specially for you, if you see a board you like. I still have to get with my local turning friends to make it a big bash.
See you guys here, sometime....[:D]
Rob

mick

Rob, That's pretty!! I like the way it shimmers and shines! I'm as amazed sometimes at some of the homebrews we turn as I am of a pretty burl! Next time I make some of my pink resin, the one you liked...I'll send you a couple. I'm still undecided on the shape for the Sierra's too...so far I've just gone bushing to bushing so far.

BigRob777

Mike,
Next PR sierra I make will be in the same shape as my usual ones. With a slight bow, but not as much as this one. Thanks for your offer. We can also do a trade, if you want. It sounds like I'll have a nice supply of PR. Now it's time to clean out my shop and get my burl special together.
Rob

Charles

Great looking pens. A VS lathe is definitly the way to go!! I got spoiled on one and can't stand to change belts. You pretty much have to on all other machines in the shop, not to have to is a relief when you want to adjust a small knob instead. Also PR smell doesn't bother me. I think it rather pleasant at times, However antler is another story. I had some elk antler I turned the other day that would drive you out of the shop. Boy, the other half can complain alot. I don't see how some of you guys turn it in a basement shop. I'd be living outside if I tried that.[:D]

Randy_

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />I have got to get a more accurate lathe. The barrel is completely out of round, but it looks nice.

There have been some problems with Sierra bushings. You may have a bad set?? Search some of the recent posts and you will find the discussion.

Randy_

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Amazon may still have them on sale. BTW, if changing the belt on the Jet is anything like my Delta Midi, it's a snap.

Billy: The Jet and the Delta change spindle speeds in a very similar fashion; but for one major difference. The door that accesses the upper pulley is on the front of the headstock of the Delta. On the JET, the door is on the back of the headstock. Extremely poor engineering on the part of JET!! You get used to it and can work around it; but it is a PIA to have to lean over the headstock to get to the upper pulley!! Had I been a little better educated, I would most likely have bought the Delta instead of the JET for that one reason alone. It looks like the new Rikon is really going to beat up both the Delta and the Jet. I have not seen one first-hand; but from the published specs and the few reviews I've seen, it looks like a winner!!

BigRob777

Well, it looks like I'll be picking up a very slightly used Jet (not VS). I can't wait to turn something that's actually round for a change. I'm getting it from a fellow IAPer, so that makes it even better.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom