A Silky Oak Sierra, a Thuya Burl Ligero and a Pink Ivory Jr Gents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rodsaw

rodsaw

The first is a Sierra using Silky Oak from Zambezi Exotics that I did last weekend. It was sanded to 600, 3 coats of thin CA, then buffed with the Beall system. Last weekend was the first time I tried using CA as a finish, thanks to the info I learned here at the IAP.

The second is a Ligero with thuya burl---one of my favorite woods because it smells so good. It was also sanded to 600, but has Myland friction polish for the finish. It was also buffed out with the Beall system.

The third one is a Jr. Gents using pink ivory and was finished the same as the Ligero.

Attachments

• Sierra_Silky_Oak_sm.JPG
    Sierra_Silky_Oak_sm.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Ligero_Thuya_1_sm.JPG
    Ligero_Thuya_1_sm.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 261
  • JrGentsRho_Pink_Ivory_1_sm.JPG
    JrGentsRho_Pink_Ivory_1_sm.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodsaw

The Myland polish is quick and easy to do. It doesn't build up the way that CA does, so you won't get an acrylic-like high gloss finish except on woods like cocobolo. It tends to be more natural than CA, leaving the grain open. It is a lacquer or shellac, so it dries quick. Make sure that you shake it well to get all of the solids mixed up. The first bottle that I had seemed to use up all of the solids before the bottle was finished. It doesn't have the durability of CA from what I have read. Since I typically buff it with wax, it seems to wear pretty well.

jskeen

Very nice work! Fit and finish look excellent from here. I find it interesting that you choose to turn the blanks for the two kits that have tapered fittings and or finials almost ruler straight, and the blank for the ligero, which has mostly straight fittings with relatively pronounced curves.

How do the pens feel in hand? Do you feel the transition from the tapered finial of the jr gent to the straight bushing to bushing body of the jr gent, or the change from the almost straight cap center band of the ligero to the curved body when you pick them up? Would you turn them that way again given the chance? If so or if not, why? How do you feel about them? Were there constraints in the blank size vs the kits? Did you have any problem drilling the blanks? What method did you use to drill them?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious and possibly trying to give you some design ideas to ponder.

rodsaw

Thanks for the questions, you definitely got me pondering...

On the ligero you can feel the transition between the cap center band and the body. I was trying to mirror the curve on the barrel side and show off the wood. The bigger issue to me on that particular pen is that the gap between the clip and the body is smaller than I would like it to be. That alone was reason for me to turn the cap straight, although I still turned a curve on the barrel on the next one that I did. I don't have any pictures of that one because I sold it immediately after making it---I guess I should take that as a hint on how to make it.

On the jr gent I turned the first one I made straight and it stuck in my head to make it that way. Part of it was tied to drilling problems that I was having. I have a Jet drill press and it had a bad chuck on it--I was getting a lot of runout and holes that would end up significantly off center. I was ending up with very little material to work with by the time the blanks were turned round. A new chuck, vise, work table and several hours verifying alignment has corrected that issue.

As for the comfort of the pens, I think that all of them are comfortable. Both the sierra and ligero were my first attempts at those particular kits. I'll give your suggestions a try. Thanks for the ideas--

Top Bottom