SilkPrint Pen for the 4th of July

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

My Dad wisely told us in our youth that "America was invented on July 4th - so honor it by staying inventive".

My humble offering in the spirit of invention - SilkPrint Pen(s) - steps:
Colored pencil/pastel drawing on paper, scan into Photoshop for some refinement.
Stretch 8mm Habotai silk onto a frame, coat thinly with Mod Podge and laminate onto parchment paper, let dry overnight, cut down to 8.5x11" size.
Print the image onto the silk/paper laminate (I use a fairly inexpensive Canon Pixma iX6820 inkjet printer)
Blow dry the ink (cool or warm setting)
Coat the face of the print with a thin layer of Mod Podge - let dry overnight.
Peel the silk off the parchment paper backing.
Cut silk strips to size, then glue them to 150 grit-sanded brass tubes with a thin layer of Mod Podge.
Dry the tubes overnight, then trim excess silk off the ends.
Dab on some mica powders for extra "pop".
Cast tube-in (I use Douglas and Sturgess PR)
Mill, turn, finish, and assemble as usual.
(opens up some interesting possibilities):
attachment.php

Happy 4th - have fun, be safe, and stay inventive.

- Bob

Attachments

• SilkPrintStory,markison,july4,2016,800px.jpg
    SilkPrintStory,markison,july4,2016,800px.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

That is a stunning result! Very creative. Thanks for sharing your method. Doubt I'd ever try it, but every new technique I see gets filed away and may help in some future project.

Very nice!

Gary

Bob in SF

Fun week of creating penward-bound art work since the initial SilkPrint pen has made its way into the world.

Here's the gallery of pen-bearing paintings - each started as a pastel pencil and hand rubbed pastel painting, then spray-fixed with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear Spray; scanned into the computer, enhanced with some custom brushes which I've made over the years in Photoshop, then inkjet printed onto the Habotai silk/parchment laminate described above; Mod Podge (gloss)-coated; ready to delaminate and turn into pens (great fun using silk as art medium to translate paintings to pens - each painting should yield 14 pens):
attachment.php

Happy Wednesday - Bob

Attachments

• GalleryArtForMarkisonSilkArtPens,800px.jpg
    GalleryArtForMarkisonSilkArtPens,800px.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Top Bottom