Sierras Sambar X 5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Fresh off the lathe---these 5 pens where going to make the trip to Vegas and Ken was going to engrave them for me. That did not work out. The Sambar has way to much color to try engraving. The antler's color puts me in mind of old mammoth ivory.

2006128224637_sam1.jpg

2006128224714_sam2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

I wanted to get some of Kens very detailed engraving. If they all looked like the last one---real white---that's the route I would of went. But with the darker patina I feel it would work against the engraving. I will give Ken a shout and get his input---heck you never know I might be wrong---LOL

laserturner

Hi Gary,
You're right. The contrast when engraving antler is great if the antler is white or almost white however is doesn't show up all that well in the darker stuff. 2 of those 5 would work well but the others would be questionable. Colorfilling is also not the way to go with antler.
We got lucky here with Bob Altig's Geronimo pen but as you can see, the contrast color would blend a bit too much with the base color of 3 of the pens you posted.

20061290316_Geronimo3.jpg
<br />

Gary,
Depending on how complicated your engraving is...just initials or a name, I would think you probably could have the engraving blackened to stand out... would work well with the decorative black already in the pen... JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom