Sierra Vista w/ Abalone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaspar

Overall, I like it. The Sierra Vista uses the same diameter tube as the Sierra, but overall it's a bit bigger than the regular Sierra to leave more meat on whatever specialty blank you're turning. And easy as can be to make. Great look.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgray

Question re: the Sierra Vistas.

It seems to me that they use the same sleeves, but the pen is fatter.

This leaves more room for your material, right? You don't need to turn the material down to a real thin dimension for the pen, right?

If this is true, it's a pretty good idea. I've found that acrylics don't always work great with Sierras, simply because they become transparent that thin. Even if you paint the tube, it's not always ideal.

Do I have the right idea here? Same diameter tubes, fatter pen, which leads to not so tight turning of the material...correct?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That's exactly right, Brian. The tubes are the same, but the fitting (and therefore the bushings) have been increased in size to allow for turning thicker materials including translucent materials , snakeskins, etc. You will still want to paint your barrels (my preference), tubes or both for some (most) acrylics.

Kaspar

I also like the fatter feel myself. It's a pity there's no way to make abalone into a blank that can be turned whole, with no cracked mirror look. I still like it though. Did a bit of market research today. Seems to be a "ladies pen" to most peoples' minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom