Sierra Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kirkfranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkfranks

First the story then the pictures.

The lady who sits next to me after much effort on my part finally brought me in one of the logs from the "old family walnut tree" for me to see if I could make a pen. I think it had been on the firewood pile for a couple of years.
Well I made her a Sierra pen about 4-5 months ago. She loved the pen and I got enough walnut to last a while.
When she showed it to her sister (Twin no less) the sister said she wanted one too, but with a letter opener... Of course there is no such kit.

I did some research a while back and the closest I could find was a post from CSB333 (Chris)http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20460
Well a couple emails to Chris and I was ready to give it a try.

Here is my version.
Chrome Sierra and Letter opener in Heirloom Walnut. The finish is Behlen Woodturners Finish which I am giving a try. The bottom of the Letter opener is a chrome Cigar Opener kit.
The walnut actually has some nice curly figure and some interesting inclusions in some spots.

200751004034_Sierra_Set1.jpg

And here are the other sides.

200751004123_Sierra_set.jpg

Comments Welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />good stuff man! did you just use cigar bushing on one side and sierra on the other?

Andrew,
Yes but I also had to drill out the Sierra end for the larger tube.
I kept the length close to the length of the cigar kit tube, but I had to trim both tubes down to meet in the middle of the blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom