Sierra With Overlay Knots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ribanett

ribanett

I made this Sierra using a six segment knot overlayed with a three segment knot.

The white plastic is from a Garage Sale sign I got a Wally World for $3. The sign was 18 X 14, I can make a lot of pens from that sign.

Later

Attachments

• Segment 1 019_edited.jpg
    Segment 1 019_edited.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 687
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Larry, I think you're starting to figure these knots out :wink: I like how you sandwich the white plastic between two layers of aluminum. It adds a nice dimension to the design.

ribanett

How about if I do a tutorial

Thanks for all the comments.

That's crazy. I'd ask how you did it, but I wouldn't understand the answer. Looks really cool.

Its really not that hard to do, just have to take it slow and pay attention to detail. I do the cuts using a miter saw and hand fit each segment.

I am thinking of making a tutoral of how I do it. As this will be my first try at a tutorial, is there anybody out there willing to read my first draft (maybe more drafts) and tell me how to improve it. I have a bad habit of not seeing the forest because of the tree.

Again thanks for the comments.

Texatdurango

Larry, I'm going to be honest with you and take an apposing view to most of the above comments so do don't shoot the messanger!

While I applaud you for the technical aspect of the knots, the blanks you are using are just way too busy and the knots are getting lost in all the motion and waves of the blank.

I think the knots look smashing with contrasting colors, not multi colored, wild wavy patterns.

Try a plain ole bloodwood or solid black blank with some brass or aluminum accents and see if you agree.

jkeithrussell

I'd love to see the tutorial. I've tried to make some simple segmented pens, but I haven't had success yet. Mostly because I have not been able to put together a functional sled with limited tolerance for my miter saw.

ribanett

Larry, I'm going to be honest with you and take an apposing view to most of the above comments so do don't shoot the messanger!

While I applaud you for the technical aspect of the knots, the blanks you are using are just way too busy and the knots are getting lost in all the motion and waves of the blank.

I think the knots look smashing with contrasting colors, not multi colored, wild wavy patterns.

Try a plain ole bloodwood or solid black blank with some brass or aluminum accents and see if you agree.

I agree with you that the blanks are VERY busy and make the effect very confusing. This pen and the two in my last thread were a commission for the members of a heavy metal band (real space cadets). I like a single color or maybe just a hint of a second color.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I am thinking of making a tutoral of how I do it. As this will be my first try at a tutorial, is there anybody out there willing to read my first draft (maybe more drafts) and tell me how to improve it. I have a bad habit of not seeing the forest because of the tree.

Sure, I can help .. but not if you're going to write it on a tree. I can't
afford the postage.

steve and pam

excellent Larry

I made this Sierra using a six segment knot overlayed with a three segment knot.

The white plastic is from a Garage Sale sign I got a Wally World for $3. The sign was 18 X 14, I can make a lot of pens from that sign.

Later

nice Larry.....I would be one to love to see a turorial on your tecknique

tks for sharing .....Steve

JohnU

Larry, thats one of the nicest looking knot pens i have ever seen. Nice color and material match. I bought one of those signs a year ago and wondered if it would work. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom