Sierra nomad (first time turning with aluminum inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jeremymc98

Jeremymc98

Here's my first attempt with using aluminum in a segment. It definitely makes a difference turning, especially when you just your carbide bit.

Anyway. Purple heart and aluminum caps on a cherry burl with CA finish on a Sierra monad set of hardware

Please crtic

Attachments

• 20180210_214616.jpg
    20180210_214616.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 20180210_214628.jpg
    20180210_214628.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

Looks like you've nailed it there. The light play across the wood to metal joins is very very smooth and even and I can see no metal contamination in the grain from sanding. Brilliant job. Not keen on the kit though but that's personal choice. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great proportion on the segments. Looks great!

I usually use brass in that configuration, but the aluminum looks great with that pen. It does take a little adjustment when turning metal with wood. Congratulation.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well done. That is one of my favorite design features. I need to be mindful not to have too much pressure when the gouge comes off of the aluminum and dig a deeper spot in the wood.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeremymc98

Well done. That is one of my favorite design features. I need to be mindful not to have too much pressure when the gouge comes off of the aluminum and dig a deeper spot in the wood.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark,

Glad you mentioned that because it's a challenge for sure and I definitely did some extra unwanted diggung

magpens

Nice pen !! . I like the color combination and the aluminum fits right in.

Don't like the kit, though, but that is no reflection on your beautiful work.

leehljp

Member Liaison

Thanks for sharing.

Mark,

Glad you mentioned that because it's a challenge for sure and I definitely did some extra unwanted diggung

Jeremy, do you use a gouge also? I don't use a gouge but rather my own made up scraper. Kind of like a straight scraper but with a slight angle. It lets me hold the handle at an angle and be straight across on the blank.

The scraper keeps from "gouging" out sections and makes everything even.

Jeremymc98

Thanks for sharing.

Mark,

Jeremy, do you use a gouge also? I don't use a gouge but rather my own made up scraper. Kind of like a straight scraper but with a slight angle. It lets me hold the handle at an angle and be straight across on the blank.

The scraper keeps from "gouging" out sections and makes everything even.

I wish I could say yes but thankfully you guys are teaching me a ton. I've only been turning for less than 6 months so at best I can call what I do experimenting.

I also am not a huge fan of that hardware and blank combo but hey it's all in good fun to make

upstatepano

Nice looking pen Jeremy. Really like the wood combination with the aluminum accent. It stands out nice on that kit with the 3D effect in the checkered pattern at the top and bottom.
One thing to remember when using various metals, heat is not your friend. You have to drill very slow as most of these metals are heat conductors and will heat up so fast that it will soften the glue and come lose. Also when turning give it time to cool if you have a lot of metal in the pen. But the end results are worth the extra time.

Top Bottom