Sierra and Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Rmartin

Here's a couple from this weekend. These are raw pics, no photoshopping what so ever, just resized/degraded to fit the board. I've been working on my picture taking and I'm pleased with the way these turned out.

First, a top of the line Sierra in Black and Gold Titanium:

African Blackwood with sapwwod

1_SierraBlkSAP2.jpg

Here's a very rare Chinese Huanghuali which of course requires the very best of kits. Emperor in Rhodium/Black Titanium:

1_Huanghuali.jpg

Comments welcomed!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Nice pens, Richard. I've turned several of those AB with sapwood, and I noticed you had the same problem I did with the black dust getting into the grain of the light sapwood. I rubbed mine with acetone to help eliminate that, which helped a great deal, still it was impossible to rid of completely.

That emperor should fetch a pretty penny. Have you sold it already, or did you make it on spec? I still haven't mustered up the guts to turn a HHL pen, I'm going to look into it this summer. You have my respect with that pen.

Rmartin

I noticed you had the same problem I did with the black dust getting into the grain of the light sapwood.

I actually like the contrast and didn't attempt to change it.

I've looked at several Sierra pens and I think it's a kit which does not look right with a curve, or bulge as some call it. The curve of the nib flatens out just before the center band. To my eye, this makes any flair in the body look out of place. Then I saw some Sierras by Yo-Yo Spin, the master of bead making. By adding the beads, they create a stop and start point if you will.

Don't tell me how much that Huanghuali costs! I don't want to know! These blanks were sent to me by Yorkgum. I've been making some pens for him until he gets his lathe set up. It does make it a little nerve racking turning someone else's wood. It's one thing if I screw up my own wood, which I'm sure happens to all of us from time to time.

YORKGUM

That emperor should fetch a pretty penny. Have you sold it already, or did you make it on spec? I still haven't mustered up the guts to turn a HHL pen, I'm going to look into it this summer. You have my respect with that pen.

At this point I'm putting together a rare personal set. I too would be nervous turning HHL and that's why I wanted Richard to do it. Came out great. Can't wait for the package to get here.

Great job as usual Rich.

Top Bottom