Sierra Copper Mine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ravenbsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenbsp

Hi all,

love copper plating, so I orderd a few different kits, including thi sierra. I couldn't find a blank that I thought would go well, so why not go all copper! The barrel is just a piece of 3/8" copper watter pipe with the brass tube epoxied into place. There is a little wiggle room between the copper and the brass so the alignment was no initially perfect, so I just turned the outside copper on the metal lathe once the whole thng was assembled on the mandrel. The accents are spare bits ot amboyna burl left over from a previous project. I finished the copper portion to a very fine brushed / satin then CA'ed it to a gloss. It will be intersting to se if the finish holds. If notm it was only a nickels worth of pipe:)

2006370416_coppermine.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Ooh, I really like that. Do you know anyone with a powder coat gun? That would be the perfect coating for the pipe. Harbor Freight has a cheap one. I'm going to post an idea in the tricks and tips to help you get the tube centered next time.

low_48

Powder coat will work on anything that will transmit electricity. It just needs to take the current and the heat to set the clear coat.

Ravenbsp

Sure thing, Bill. Just keep in mind when you are micro-meshing the copper, use very clean MM. I found out to late that little particles from prior finishings will cut grooves into the metal, which will send you back to 400 grit sandpaper for a re-do[:0]. Good luck !

Ravenbsp

Just a quick update. I gave the pen to my fourth grade daughter:

200638152651_qwq.jpg

For the last 3 days at school and the finish is still holding up just fine. Not bad for a habitual pencil muncher [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom