A Sierra Clicker - almost

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I was really impressed by Jeff's re-do of a Sierra and I knew I had an old Sierra clicker where the black part was badly scratched. So I stripped out the mech ( not easy:redface:) and had a go. I threaded the mech.
I'm not sure what the goldy metal is, some sort of brass alloy ( it was a bearing shaft so maybe has a bit if bronze in it) and the rest is stainless steel. I couldn't think of a neat design for a clip so just copped out and used a 24k Pentel style slip-on clip.
I managed to turn it down and bore it out to get the weight down to 52g.
You can see it the pic where I assembled the parts that I was off centre a bit where the two top bits met. Dissapointing as I really tried to keep the drilling and tapping central. No biggie as it was going to be turned down further anyway.
Thanks for the inspiration Jeff:wink:
Hope you like:biggrin:

Attachments

• SierraMech.jpg
    SierraMech.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Drilledandthreaded.jpg
    Drilledandthreaded.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 275
  • Offcentreabit.jpg
    Offcentreabit.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 281
  • SierraClicker.jpg
    SierraClicker.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 411
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

You can see it the pic where I assembled the parts that I was off center a bit where the two top bits met. Disappointing as I really tried to keep the drilling and tapping central. No biggie as it was going to be turned down further anyway.
WOW! Even your OOPS!:search: Look Great.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I really like that mod Skippy. Especially the transition of the 2 metals. Think I see a Sierra mod contest in the future - even if its just for bragging rights. So far score is Jeff 1, Skippy 1.

Bree

You are always coming up with incredible stuff! Great job Skip!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

JerrySambrook

I couldn't think of a neat design for a clip so just copped out and used a 24k Pentel style slip-on clip.
I
You can see it the pic where I assembled the parts that I was off centre a bit where the two top bits met. Dissapointing as I really tried to keep the drilling and tapping central. No biggie as it was going to be turned down further anyway.

Skip, Are you certain that the clip is not pulling off-centre?

I appreciate the work you did in this pen, but it really did not whet my appetite.

Jerry

workinforwood

That's a real beauty Steve. I love contrasting metals and the sleekness of the pen. It does look a bit too far off to be like a sierra re-do though...as in there are no noticeable similarities. I am however now inspired to build a slick metal pen like that! :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, I didn't like the clip either so did it again. I had to make the new top section in two pieces to hold a clip in a recess. These two bits are also threaded together but as they are so short, it was a bit difficult as I only have taper taps in that size. Ideally, I should have used a bottoming tap after the taper tap. I got around it by tapering the male thread to the same taper as the tap. I've ordered another tap for next time:biggrin:
I can't remember where this clip came from, but I think it looks a bit better than the first one:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Sliponclip.jpg
    Sliponclip.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 120
  • recessedclip.jpg
    recessedclip.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 129

JerrySambrook

Skip,
What a difference a clip makes.

It nows looks much better to me.
As I originally said, I appreciated the work in the pen, Now I like the looks as well

Jerry

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice work Skip. The pen is really a beauty. So does it still use the Sierra click mech?

I like the second clip better than the first but it still doesn't quite look like a "fit" - but a bit heavy at the top. IMHO

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
BTW...... I noticed the r.i.p. in your signature. What happened to Ratty?

I have no idea:frown:

I can't really say that one way looks any better than the other. They both look great to me. Are all the segments of metal screwed together through out the entire pen?

Yes Jeff. 5 threaded joints. The male threads on the mech go half into the body and half into the top. LOL, take your pick when changing the refill:biggrin:
I think you can see the difference between the brass of the mech and the alloy which has almost a rose gold colour.
I might be able to find out exactly what the alloy is as it's from a part that we no longer make, but still have the drawings in our archives.
I agree that the clip still isn't the right one, but the object here was to use a Sierra click mech and to see how light I could get a stainless steel pen to be. My next target is 40grams.
Thanks for the comments:wink:

Attachments

• Apart.jpg
    Apart.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 132

johncrane

Skip that's a ripper! well done and well made!
You make things look so easy,
the last clip looks better to me, i think all these click Mech are the same, i just pulled the long click pen apart the only difference was the the housing,again well done on you pen and thanks for showing,

Top Bottom