sierra with a blank cast by me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mb007

mb007

This is from my first batch of casts, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I included a pic of the blank before turning so you can see what it looked like straight out of the mold. I'm very glad I stumbled across the IAP site, it's inspired me to try a lot of new things!

Attachments

• sierra 1.jpg
    sierra 1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 169
  • sierra 2.jpg
    sierra 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 135
  • sierra 3.jpg
    sierra 3.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 201
  • blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

Is that polyresin? I have been wanting to try it but I can't decide between Polyresin and Alumilite. How bad was the smell? I woudl have to do this in my basement and I am wondering if my wife will complain. :)

Oh and BTW- Your first attempt looks great!!

mb007

Is that polyresin? I have been wanting to try it but I can't decide between Polyresin and Alumilite. How bad was the smell? I woudl have to do this in my basement and I am wondering if my wife will complain. :)

Oh and BTW- Your first attempt looks great!!

Yep, polyresin. Castin Craft from Michaels to be exact. I wanted to try this out with small quantities to make sure I enjoyed it before investing in the Silmar / Pressure Pot that I'm sure is coming soon!

The smell is pretty strong at first. I poured it in the garage and wore a respirator. The smell seemed to dissipate as they dried, so if you have a way to heat the blanks (toaster over, etc.), that might keep the smell to a minimum. My gut feeling is that you'd want a fan directing the fumes out a window to do this indoors... maybe someone who casts indoors can chime in here!

Rick P

Your blank turned out sweet!

If your going to cast indoors or use a heat source be very careful! The stuff is explosive and it can be very damaging to your lungs. I did some casting in my home, tore me up so bad I had to cancel my Sheep hunt! I train all year to hut sheep, I LIVE for that hunt! Anyhow it took months for me to get back to "normal" breathing. I am mildly asthmatic but it rarely effects me.

Top Bottom