Shredded Canadian Currency Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

This is my first one of a shredded currency pen. The blanks is courtesy of Les Elm in Red Deer , Alberta . He did a great job of casting the blank.
As per Les's suggestion I polished the brass tube before gluing it in so it would add a feature that would resemble the appearance of our gold color Loonie one dollar coin showing through the shredded money.
I cannot say that I am overly fond of that appearance of the tube showing on this pen but would possibly look better on a fatter pen where there was more shredded money on top of the tube.. I don't know which color the tube would be best painted for a different effect. Light green or dark green or even black or white..
I was down to my last Sierra Kit so I used it because I don't want to order more pen kits this year until I reduce my large overstock of pens . This particular pen will now be my own personal one.

Sorry about the picture. I have given up getting anywhere close to the quality of photography that Les produces but it is probably still good enough to recognize it as being a pen . . LOL

388238301.jpg
[/quote]

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

I took a little better picture of it.
My camera seems to favor a grey background over a white one.

388240769.jpg

bruce119

I think either black or white paint the inside of the blank and the tube. Black will give it more contrast white will give it more depth and blend the tube a little better. With Canadian you are probably better with black it mite help the colors in the currency.

I have been trying to get my hands on some Canadian shredded money for some time now. Just can't get the stuff I guess you need to know someone on the inside.

Good luck

W.Y.

I think either black or white paint the inside of the blank and the tube. Black will give it more contrast white will give it more depth and blend the tube a little better. With Canadian you are probably better with black it mite help the colors in the currency.

I have been trying to get my hands on some Canadian shredded money for some time now. Just can't get the stuff I guess you need to know someone on the inside.

Good luck

Les told me you can get it at this address by sending them an email and asking them how to purchase.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/about/currency.html

W.Y.

As pointed out in another site I took that pen to the coffee shop for a little show and tell and just about fell off my chair when a lady asked how much for it. I am not used to that around here . .lol . . .
I figured if I started real real high I could alaways come down so I said $40.00 and she said OK but I pointed out that I would also be making one with the tube painted black which would look totally different and told her I would give her a choice of the two when I got the second one done.

OK, I robbed the bright copper hardware off another wood pen I made sometime last year .
Tried it with the tube painted black this time. I took a picture of both pens at the same time with the same camera settings and same lighting and background in fairness to a comparison in color etc. .

Not sure if I like the black painted one as much or not although my wife likes it a lot better. It is going to be a matter of preference when I take both to the coffee shop and let my customer choose which one she wants. .
The painted black tube one shows more blue like the five dollar bills and the polished brass tube one shows more of the greens like on the twenty dollar bills and also some traces of purple like on the ten dollar bills.
But then being different blanks I do not know if they both came out of the same batch of shredded currency or not. .
I don't care which one she chooses. Which ever one is left will probably wind up as being my own.

388323690.jpg

Craftdiggity

They both look good. I think I'd prefer the black one. I'd have sold that first one to the lady right then and there though. Never let a sale slip away. I hope she still buys one.

W.Y.

They both look good. I think I'd prefer the black one. I'd have sold that first one to the lady right then and there though. Never let a sale slip away. I hope she still buys one.

No problem there Chris . She will buy one for sure. She is a member of our 20 plus ten oclock every morning seniors coffee group and she bought a $25.00 rifle cartridge pen from me last year for her husband . She was quite taken up with the shredded currency one and I wanted to give her a choice of which one she would like best. I think she is buying this one for him for fatheres day. She is dual citizen between here and USA so I think they also want to show it south of the border to their friends there.

Had it been a stranger I would have grabbed the cash in a heartbeat. :wink:

It is a rare occasion around here when someone actually wants to pay money for a pen but they like to look and Ooooh ... and Ahhh . . at them.

Top Bottom